Chardonnay Acid/pH adjustment advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap Puncher

Reaction score
I started a wonderful Russian River Valley Chardonnay this May from Wine Grapes Direct. I fermented out nicely, completed ML, and I have been doing Batonnage for the last few months and have really noticed a nice change in mouthfeel and the aroma is wonderful. The current pH is 3.67 and TA=6.6g/L. I did a cold stabilization test at 34F on 60mL. The pH dropped to 3.64 and TA dropped to 5.6 g/L. I'm guessing my pH meter is slightly off because the pH went down after being >3.65. Regardless, the current pH scares me a bit for a white. I'd feel much better in the pH 3.5ish range. I love the wine right now and don't want to screw it up. I was thinking of adding 0.5 g/L of tartaric, then cold stabilizing to 34-36F. I was thinking that should maintain the TA >6g/L and drop the pH into the 3.5 ish range.

My question is if I like the taste now, is it worth messing with (I could just added more sulfites)? Does this seem like decent strategy to lower the pH more with trying to maintain acidity?

if it taste great leave it alone. winemaking is not just numbers

I don't disagree, but I would like a better microbial stability/wine longevity (lower pH) and cold stabilization if possible. I use numbers as guides then go by taste. However, there are not many white wines I’ve had with a pH of 3.67.

@Cap Puncher It's not that big of a deal, just use the appropriate amount of sulfite, based upon the pH (.8 molecular level for whites), and you'll be off to the races. The wine will last just as long with proper sulfite management and a pH of 3.67 as it will with a pH of 3.5. Most likely, you'll drink it way before it starts any type of decline.

EDIT: And if you want to see a Chard with a pH like yours, check out this thread from my 2017 wine project: Spring '17 White Wine Project
Incidentally, I still have a few bottles left that are still beautifully colored and taste great.

Last edited:
My recommendation would be to do a bench trial. Take 3 or 4 samples, add different amounts of tartaric and then taste them. If you find one that improves to your liking take a pH reading and add the appropriate amount of tartaric to the carboy. If the higher pH is what you go with just take John's advice and add more sulfites. If you're going to bottle it 45 ppm SO2 should protect it. If bulk aging for any length of time take it to 50 - 60 ppm.

If you like the wine, don't mess with it, as any additions you make are permanent. Keep in mind that your pH meter and TA kit will not be drinking the wine, you will.

The numbers only tell part of the story.

My recommendation would be to do a bench trial. Take 3 or 4 samples, add different amounts of tartaric and then taste them. If you find one that improves to your liking take a pH reading and add the appropriate amount of tartaric to the carboy.
I like the bench trials idea. I will do 2-60 mL bench trials. One with 0.3g/L of tartaric added one with 0.6 g/L of tartaric added. I’ll then cold stabilize to 36F for 2 weeks. I’ll then do a blind tasting with the original and the 2 bench trials.

Last edited:
Once it’s wine, there’s really very little you can or should do. Your numbers are good. We adjust the pH before fermentation to 3.65 (if we can). Adjusting pH afterwards generally makes the wine angular. You CANNOT taste pH. I would just adjust your sulfite to 30-40ppm and bottle it. The recommendation of bench trials is good if you insist on doing something. But do it blind.

Latest posts

Back