Characteristics of young wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BABOO

Hello All, I am new to the wine making process and wondered if some of you with a little more experience could help me with some questions. I have just finished bottling my second kit. The first question I have is the Pinot Grigio (W.E International) has a somewhat effervescent quality to it and I wonder if this is related to being young or is it a C02 issue ?
The second question is about the Sangiovese I made, it seems a little sweeter than most commercial wines I have tasted, will this change with age ?
My last question is about corks, as I finished bottling the wine I noticed very small air bubbles coming from the top of the cork. I left the proper head space, Bad corks ? has anyone experienced this ? Should I be concerned about this ?
Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.
Thanks

1) CO2 - wine not degassed enough is my guess
2) Sangiovese - what were your s.g.'s?
3) what kind of corks? how did you treat the corksbefore using?

Also what brand was the Sang?

Steve

When you push corks into the bottle the air beneath is compressed.
This compressed air will try to escape out and that is where the small bubbles
on the corks come from.
The fact that there is actually some air leaking through your cork is nothing to
worry about. I have experienced this myself a few times. The cork will settle
and then there will be no more leaking.

Leave the bottles standing for a few days until the pressure has
leveled out and then you can lay them own.

Luc

When you push corks into the bottle the air beneath is compressed.
This compressed air will try to escape out and that is where the small bubbles
on the corks come from.
The fact that there is actually some air leaking through your cork is nothing to
worry about. I have experienced this myself a few times. The cork will settle
and then there will be no more leaking.

Leave the bottles standing for a few days until the pressure has
leveled out and then you can lay them own.

Luc

I will be bottling for the first time soon, not sure when, but soon. After I bottle, I should leave the wine upright for a few days and then turn on its side, right? How many days is a few, I interpret as 3 days, but is there a hard and fast rule on this?

I will be bottling for the first time soon, not sure when, but soon. After I bottle, I should leave the wine upright for a few days and then turn on its side, right? How many days is a few, I interpret as 3 days, but is there a hard and fast rule on this?

No hard and fast rules in winemaking :p

I will leave them standing for about 5 days, then I put them on their sides and leave them again for about a week. Afther that I am sure there are no leaks, and then I apply labels and caps.

Luc

The kit companies these days are saying 1 to 5 days. In the past, the range was 5-14 days.

I used to wait 7 days. Mostly cause I did 'wine work' on weekends. These days, it's usually 3-5 days.

Steve

leaking corks

I bottled a kit Chianti several months ago. Out of ignorance I used #9 corks in 750ml bottles, and put the bottles on their sides right away. A few are leaking slightly. Any remedy? Or do I just drink those first? Is there a possibility the wine is contaminated by this? If wine can get out I guess other stuff can get in!

I bottled a kit Chianti several months ago. Out of ignorance I used #9 corks in 750ml bottles, and put the bottles on their sides right away. A few are leaking slightly. Any remedy? Or do I just drink those first? Is there a possibility the wine is contaminated by this? If wine can get out I guess other stuff can get in!

How long after you corked did you lay them down?
Were these "CORK' or synthetic ones?

I'd go at these first. They should be OK. If your asking if it is gonna make you sick or kill ya, I wouldn't worry. If it tastes bad, don't drink it. :d

I use #9 corks and have never had a leak?? Do you use the 1 3/4" cork? The cork manufacturer recommends standing for 3 days so 3-5 is a minimum.

I laid them down right away. I thought wine was supposed to be in contact with the cork. I got all the equipment from a friend, so I didn't have any instructions other than the kit wine ones at first, and didn't think to check here about bottling techniques. The wine in the leaking bottle I opened smelled, looked and tasted fine. Should I recork the whole batch using the proper soaking/standing technique?
We have a hand corker at present; I have a track record of buying hobby equipment that I abandon, so I want to try a few more batches before investing in a floor corker. The fact that I have empty jugs calling out for filling, some new yeast and a recipe book, and that everyone has been complimentary about the wines to date, is a good sign!

Yes you have all the symptoms of the addiction lol. :)Do you hear them calling your name once they are empty? :DIf they are leaking I would recork and let stand for at least 3 days. Try a couple and see if that helps.

Back