Other Chaptalization Sugars

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSell

Reaction score
Checked the forum and did not find anything about the different types of sugars. I have some leftover Corn Sugar, can it be used for capitalization in wine making? All I see is refined sugar referenced.

I have never done that with wine, but I have used corn and cane sugar when making beer...I could tell no difference, doubt the yeast can either.

Corn sugar (Dextrose) is what you want, especially if you are intending to get close to the alcohol limit for your yeast. Dextrose is more easily used by yeast than table sugar (cane sugar).

Table sugar can be "inverted" to break it into Dextrose and Fructose before adding to your juice.

When I am boosting an Island Mist kit (a low alcohol kit), I use straight table sugar, as it is getting no where close to the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

Here is a great article on chaptalization in WM magazine.

https://winemakermag.com/371-how-sweet-it-is-chaptalization

"What Kind of Sugar
Pure white table sugar is very effective. This may be beet, cane or corn sugar. Wine yeasts consume these easily, leaving no residual flavors. Many winemaking retailers offer pure white corn sugar for winemaking. Avoid castor and brown sugar, or anything that contains molasses. This will give your wine an undesirable taste. There are fancier fermentable sugars if you want to be particular, but for today we’ll keep it simple."

Latest posts

Back