Changing direction into uncharted territory

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late start. Life got in the way and we could not get ready for September. Prior planning…I know, I know.

New supplier with whom we do not have a relationship sold our grape order to a walk in. Went back to our old supplier and ordered. Unfortunately, they could not get the grapes we ordered.

Original order included Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. All were to be fermented separately and blended after bulk storage to create a Bordeaux blend. The order also included Alicante, Muscat, and mixed black.

Here’s what they have:
  • Petite Sirah
  • Grenache
  • Malvasia
  • Muscat (we ordered four lugs)
  • Mixed Black

The mixed black has mold. They offered to sell them to us for fifteen dollars a lug. I’ve picked through moldy grapes in the past. It’s a lot of work. Fifty percent went in the trash. But the resulting wine was very good. In the end, it is trading hours for dollars.

The Muscat was intended to go into a blend with Alicante. I was thinking of substituting Petite Sirah for the Alicante. This will be blended at the crusher.

We don’t know anything about Malvasia.

That leaves the Grenache. What do you think of blending Grenache with Petite Sirah? Blend at the crusher or ferment separately and blend later?

Another option would be to make the Muscat-Alicante blend and order from Brehm later.

Everyone’s thoughts, opinions, and advice are welcome.

What do you like to drink?

My standard advise would be to buy the nicest grapes they have and take good care of them.

Petite Sirah is dark and tannic, one of my favorites. It will be awhile before it matures.<<< I'd go all in on this if the grapes look good.

Grenache is lighter, can be good, sooner, but if your grapes are from California, the Central Valley Grenache tends to grow huge yields-up to 10 tons per acre and not much flavor. But this is highly subjective, and Jeff Rundquist for instance makes a great Grenache.

Malvasia-I just read the wiki, sounds interesting. No knowledge or experience.

I would not buy any amount of mold. THey should give that to you, or pay you to take it away.

Good luck regardless.

Latest posts

Back