Chancellor juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
September 2019 I purchased a bucket of Chancellor juice from the Finger Lakes in NYS. From the start I didn't care for the aroma or taste. I bottled today. It is pink in color and tastes like a rose. When I do research on the grape it describes it in the burgundy family and being dark. Could this local shop have given me the wrong juice? It just seems so far off the mark.

WV

September 2019 I purchased a bucket of Chancellor juice from the Finger Lakes in NYS. From the start I didn't care for the aroma or taste. I bottled today. It is pink in color and tastes like a rose. When I do research on the grape it describes it in the burgundy family and being dark. Could this local shop have given me the wrong juice? It just seems so far off the mark.

WV

Can you share your research that indicates that there is a link to Burgundy (Pinot Noir, presumably)? In my admittedly few minutes of googling, I could find no such link. Chancellor is a crossing of Siebel 5163 and Siebel 880. Seemingly best info I found was:

Almost all of Albert Seibel’s hybrid grapes were descended from only four parent grapes: two European grapes (Vitis vinifera), Aramon and Alicante Bouchet [sic]; one wild American grape, Jaeger 70 (Vitis rupestris x Vitis lincecumii); and one rootstock, AxR1, which was created by crossing Aramon with a wild American V. rupestris. Although Seibel bred tens of thousands of grapes, he did so almost entirely by crossing and re-crossing his original varieties, all of which were descended from the original four vines, so the basic gene pool of his collection remained largely unchanged.

Neither Aramon nor Alicante Bouschet (correct spelling) are from Burgundy.

Can you share your research that indicates that there is a link to Burgundy (Pinot Noir, presumably)? In my admittedly few minutes of googling, I could find no such link. Chancellor is a crossing of Siebel 5163 and Siebel 880. Seemingly best info I found was:

Neither Aramon nor Alicante Bouschet (correct spelling) are from Burgundy.

This is what I found.
Chancellor is a French-American hybrid grape developed around 1860 by Albert Seibel. This wine is made with our own grapes grown in RoseBank Winery's vineyard. Similar to a Pinot Noir, this Burgundy-style wineexhibits flavors reminiscent of plums, strawberries, finishing with a hint of green pepper.
If this is not correct, would you please give me your personal description of Chancellor. I am not looking for a debate. I honestly want to know what I have here.
Thanks

if picked to early the hybrid grape would not retain much color. I would suggest contacting the source and seek there explanation.

Last edited:
If this is not correct, would you please give me your personal description of Chancellor. I am not looking for a debate. I honestly want to know what I have here.
Thanks

Sorry, I have no experience to share. I wasn't looking for a debate either -- I just really like looking into and thinking about varieties of grapes!

I too would have expected the juice to be dark. I say this solely because one of its (grand)parents is Alicante Bouschet is a teinturier grape.

I contacted the supplier. Their explanation was that the chancellor grapes were pressed outside of the skins thus the light color. Not sure why they would have done that.

I contacted the supplier. Their explanation was that the chancellor grapes were pressed outside of the skins thus the light color. Not sure why they would have done that.

Pressed outside of the skins??? I wonder what that means, not a concept I have heard of before.

Regardless, most times I have purchased juice buckets, they have been not quite as dark as I would like them to be or expect them to be.

Red grapes that are pressed before fermentation will yield lightly colored juice, unless some type of processing is applied, such as macerating with heat and/or enzymes etc. Maybe they just did a cold press of the grapes.

Pressed with no time on the skins, had they spent time soaking on the skins after stemming & crushing before pressing the juice would have had more color

Pinot Noir makes a rose when cold pressed. I have Chancellor vines but just in second year. I plan on using it for blending with darker reds like Chambourcin and DeChauce.

I'm pretty sure we all get the concept of the more time with skins, the darker the wine is, when using dark grapes. It must be some terminology confusion, I've also never heard of grapes being pressed outside of the skins. I don't even have a guess as to what that means.

Back