Chancellor juice from finger lakes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time using this juice. Racked several times. Four months in carboy and it tastes awful. On the very sour side. Does this grape need a lot of time?

thanks
WV

Try drawing a glass and adding a bit of sugar to it. Also, check the ph. If too much acid it can make it kind of bitter. If the sugar fixes it, make sure you stabalize the wine before adding a bunch of sugar to it. If not stable, it could restart ferment and you will be back to waiting for it to finish so you can get it to clear again, degas, and let it sit in the carboy for awhile again. Arne.

Try drawing a glass and adding a bit of sugar to it. Also, check the ph. If too much acid it can make it kind of bitter. If the sugar fixes it, make sure you stabalize the wine before adding a bunch of sugar to it. If not stable, it could restart ferment and you will be back to waiting for it to finish so you can get it to clear again, degas, and let it sit in the carboy for awhile again. Arne.

So adding a bit of sugar and Potassium Sorbate should do the trick?

Potassium Sorbate and Potassium metabisulphite should be added together along with (or prior to) the sugar addition.
The question always being, how much sugar. Will need to do some bench tests. I have about 2 oz. of concentrated grape juice from a riesling kit. It is very sweet. Thinking of using that as well.

The question always being, how much sugar. Will need to do some bench tests. I have about 2 oz. of concentrated grape juice from a riesling kit. It is very sweet. Thinking of using that as well.

And the answer to how much sugar, at least for me, anyway is always the same. To taste. I record how much sugar I add to all my batches, but not the final SG I get to. I don't want to come back next year and think that is the absolute best answer for this years juice. It all depends how it tastes.

And the answer to how much sugar, at least for me, anyway is always the same. To taste. I record how much sugar I add to all my batches, but not the final SG I get to. I don't want to come back next year and think that is the absolute best answer for this years juice. It all depends how it tastes.

And lastly, can I add these sugars now and bottle in 2-3 months or is it best to wait until a week before bottling.

And lastly, can I add these sugars now and bottle in 2-3 months or is it best to wait until a week before bottling.

Whichever you prefer, really. I normally backsweeten and then bottle with a week or two. Due to my habitual procrastinating ways. No need to hurry with about 95% of the steps of a wine hobby.

Back