Champagne

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I know this is a wine forum but had to go here. I know someone will know this. Over the holidays my brother in law and I shared our wine creations with our families. He opened a homemade Champagne that looked great in the bottle, looked great after pouring a glass, but within minutes what he poured in the glass looked cloudy. I don't get it? How could it look clear one minute in the glass then cloud up. It was tasty, but cloudy.
I don't have his recipe and not sure if he added sugar at bottling time to get the CO2.

Champagne is wine... you came to the right place.

Having said that, I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm sure someone here will. LOL

I wanted to say chill haze, but if it poured clear despite already being chilled, I'm not sure while it would haze up while warming up. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in soon with a good answer.

You got me on that one also but like Tooth said, Champagne is nothing but wine with lots of C02 and lots of us make it byt if its not made in that very specific region of France its called sparkling wine. I have some kegged and some bottled, to do it the right way in the bottle is much more work but does come out a little better and you can hand them out.

could it be a young wine that was not really all settled and maybe not filtered?

how did he bottle? was it a siphon or filler....or a tip of the ole carboy into a funnel? :)

Good question. I'll have to ask. Thing is, it was clear in the glass tasted dry and very bubbly but then 5 minutes later is cloudy. I'll find out what he did in bottling and get back to this post.

Good question. I'll have to ask. Thing is, it was clear in the glass tasted dry and very bubbly but then 5 minutes later is cloudy.

I have the same problem with the pictue on my TV set after a bottle of champagne... picture starts clouding up.
:)

Latest posts

Back