Chablis

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinoman

Junior
Reaction score
I enjoy Chablis wine and was wondering if leaving the oak chips out of a French Chardonnay wine kit would produce a similar Chablis taste? There doesn't seem to be a good Chablis kit available.

I enjoy Chablis wine and was wondering if leaving the oak chips out of a French Chardonnay wine kit would produce a similar Chablis taste? There doesn't seem to be a good Chablis kit available.

I guess it depends upon your acceptance of "similar". By your question, you already know Chablis is Chardonnay, typically unoaked, from the Burgundy region of France. Growing conditions and terroir in Chablis, an old ocean bed I think, are purportedly one of a kind. Not being a white wine drinker (few glasses a year?), I cannot attest to this personally.

I enjoy "unoaked" Chardonnay. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for responding.

Not mentioned above is that some of the kit companies use the name Chamblaise for a Chablis-style wine. I didn't see any premium kits on a quick search but Winexpert (Vintners Harvest) and Spagnols (Grand Cru) both have Chamblaise kits. However, both are blends and don't mention Chardonnay.

Steve

Latest posts

Back