Centrifical Force

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
Friday I racked my tropical blend off of the sediment from it's 5 gallon carboy. It has been clearing for 6 weeks by now. I had an additional 750 ml bottle that was extra also clearing.

After racking I was a little shy of where I prefer my wines to be. I like @ 1 inch from the bung. It's at the upper neck area and would probably be fine but being that I'm too anal I took the best of the remaining wine (mixed with some sediment) and placed that into a large vial to drop it's sediment and then I would add the wine from that to top off.

I had it in the refrigerator for a day then last night pulled it out to finish at room temp. I just looked at it and it was partially cleared. Not wanting to wait I took the vial and began to spin it gently back and forth creating a mini whirlpool effect. After a few seconds I held it up to the light and noticed a lot of the sediment falling.

My question after all of this, Has anyone tried or heard of clearing wines with centrifical force? Not a violent spin but perhaps a gentle spin over "X" period of time thus clearing faster or more efficient. Similar to degassing with a drill and paddle but that had I guess.

Any thoughts?

That will not really help. Time and clearing agents will clear. Spinning will not drop the fine particals in the wine just the big parts.

One of our mechanically inclined members should build a wine centrifuge...
We need an experiment :)

Remember:
You cant rush wines. The wineries spend over a year aging and you cant get a good wine fast in a few weeks. All my wines age from 6 months to over a year before bottling. And yes I still filter some of my fruit wines. kinda like spit shining the wine... LOL
Like I said before
THE 3 "P's"

Remember:
You cant rush wines. The wineries spend over a year aging and you cant get a good wine fast in a few weeks. All my wines age from 6 months to over a year before bottling. And yes I still filter some of my fruit wines. kinda like spit shining the wine... LOL
Like I said before
THE 3 "P's"

Tom, I realize that but it was really cool to watch. I think an experiment in deed be on the boards. Maybe a gallon? I'll have to ponder this. Time and slight motion perhaps. Hey we're all in a centrifuge as the world spins.

Good lord dont invent this cause my basement is gettig too tight as it is! :)

Wade I just solved our problem. I'll remove the agitator from my washer and put the carboy on spin cycle. LOTFPMP

I got that awhile ago. It is almost exactly what my step daughters dog "Titan" looks like. He however and sadly cannot pick up after himself.

Thanks Dan

I have no experience with centrifuging wine,so I'm not endorsing it. However, there are some winemakers out there that use it and get the results that they seem to want. Here's some discussion on it.

I have no experience with centrifuging wine,so I'm not endorsing it. However, there are some winemakers out there that use it and get the results that they seem to want. Here's some discussion on it.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Plus you're not rushing the wine, just the sediment.

As an after thought it would be tough explaining why my wife's clothes smell like Merlot. Thanks for the thread.

What I did worked somewhat and I topped off my Tropical Breeze tonight. Now I'll let it age.

Back