Cellaring Tannins - Nice Addition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year I have decided to add Cellaring tannin's to our wine. Just completed a bench trail and blind taste test. We conducted it with 6 people with all different tastes in wine.
To my surprise the higher tannin were all the top picks.
Based on the input from this forum I decided to use Tannin Estate from Scott Labs.
From neutral to 20G/HL
Our Zin top pick was 15G/HL
Or Super Tuscan was 10G/HL
Our wine has been the best we have made these past 2 seasons, this addition has made it exceptional.
I can only imagine what its going to taste like when we bottle in the fall.
This forum is certainly a fantastic resource, I would like to thank everyone for all your knowledge and advice.
Mike
Bench Trial.jpg

This year I have decided to add Cellaring tannin's to our wine. Just completed a bench trail and blind taste test. We conducted it with 6 people with all different tastes in wine.
To my surprise the higher tannin were all the top picks.
Based on the input from this forum I decided to use Tannin Estate from Scott Labs.
From neutral to 20G/HL
Our Zin top pick was 15G/HL
Or Super Tuscan was 10G/HL
Our wine has been the best we have made these past 2 seasons, this addition has made it exceptional.
I can only imagine what its going to taste like when we bottle in the fall.
This forum is certainly a fantastic resource, I would like to thank everyone for all your knowledge and advice.
Mike
View attachment 59141

Mike, I'm a believer in tannins myself but don't leave out the fact that your wine making skills also had to improved. I know I'm making less and less batches I not particularly fond of.

AJ, I also primarily use Estate. A commercial guy once told me you can't get a good finish without a good mid palate and the Estate is suppose to enhance it. Also, the description says it is good for older barrels which mine are getting there. But I have to say I never personally compared them side to side. I also always use FT Rouge at crush.

Great to hear! I’m curious how you ended up deciding which tannin to go with. I’ve looked into them before on LodiLabs website and was just so many options it was a guessing game for me.
AJ,
Like you I was undecided as which to use, I read Fred's post about Estate, I also called Scott labs and asked them why Estate was almost 2 times the price as Complex or Richie, they explained its the most costly to extract and really enhances mid palate without making it too dry tasting. Exactly what I was looking for. Based on that and Fred's experience I went with it. Really Glad I did

Fred, Thanks again.

Math is hard. I got a kilo of the Scott Tannin Estate. Does the recommended dosage of 5-10/hL really translate to approximately 1-2 grams per 6 gallon carbon? Doesn’t seem like much.

Math is hard. I got a kilo of the Scott Tannin Estate. Does the recommended dosage of 5-10/hL really translate to approximately 1-2 grams per 6 gallon carbon? Doesn’t seem like much.

So, you may already know more than you realize. I think most of us know that 6 US gallons is very close to 23 liters. A hL is 100 L. So, 6 gallons (23L) is close enough to 1/4 of a hL. Accordingly, I just take the recommended dosage per hL and divide by 4 for a 6 gallon batch. In those terms, yes, 5-10 g/hL corresponds to just over 1-2 g/6 gallons.

Remember there are 2 dosage recommendations. One for aging and the other prior to bottling. The reason for waiting the 3-6 weeks prior to bottling is you are going to get some fallout and if you plan on filtering the tannins have a tendency to clog the filters. If you are planning to bulk age for several months I would recommend using the higher dosage for better integration. Also, tannins are light so your 1-2 grams is more than you might think. For bulk aging and depending on the wine I use half the recommended highest dose of .57 grams/gallon but it is a style thing..

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I first tried it out this weekend and it seemed like 1/8 tsp of Scott Estate is approximately 1g.

I ordered the tannin primarily to use in hybrids and Norton. As the research I have seen lately indicates that adding tannins to them is just a waste of product during fermentation and bulk storage my plan is to just add the tannins close to bottling.

Latest posts

Back