RJ Spagnols Cellar Master Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcullen

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there! this is my very first wine making experience! The Kit I started is on day4 of primary fermentation. I followed the instructions to a T and when I looked at supplies from kit that are to be used in the further steps, I noticed there is a silver packet that could be oak chips? anyways, there was no mention in the entire instruction sheet when this packet was to be used....if it is oak chips, that probably means I missed putting them in already....will this make my wine terrible?

First, Cellar Master is an RJ Spagnols product, so this is in the wrong sub-forum.

Yes, that silver package is oak (Spagnols seems to have a problem labelling some of their packages). It should have been put into the primary, but it's omission won't cause any problems. Some people prefer an un-oaked Merlot.

Please update the Location field in the Control Panel. Knowing where you live can help us to give better answers to some questions.

I don't think Cellar Master is sold in the US, so you're probably a Canadian (Cellar Master mostly sold in grocery stores and hardware stores). If want to oak the wine, and there is a winemaking store nearby, you might be able to get some oak cubes or chips to add to the carboy. I don't recommend adding oak dust (which is probably what is in the silver packet) to the carboy.

Steve

Thanks a lot! that was my guess, and yes I am Canadian. I bought the kit in Save on Foods and I live in edmonton alberta :)

Again, please update the Location field in the Control Panel. I won't remember.

There are some good stores in the Edmonton area. Unfortunately, I haven't lived there and can't remember names.

If you want to oak this merlot, you should easily be able to find one that will sell you some chips or cubes to put in the carboy.

Steve

Okay, Im on the RJS website reading the instructiosn for this kit and oak is listed in there so you just may have missed it.

"NOTE: Your kit may include any of the following: oak infusion bag, oak powder, sweetening blend, finishing blend, dehydrated fruit or Süss Reserve. Do not use or substitute additive packages from other wine kits."
"NOTE: Some wine kits may contain Oak powder/chips.

Oak powder/chips – If your wine kit does, open it and add it now. Stir vigorously.

You can add these now if you want the oak, it will just be a little messier.

Yes, the instructions did say it, however, because the bag was not marked other than "TST40" on it, I presumed it was something I was going to have to add at a later time. If some ingredients are optional, then the package should be labeled properly if not the instructions in order to identify what it is...I plan to send them an email to hopefully prevent this from happening to others..thanks again for your help!

Yes, the instructions did say it, however, because the bag was not marked other than "TST40" on it, I presumed it was something I was going to have to add at a later time. If some ingredients are optional, then the package should be labeled properly if not the instructions in order to identify what it is...I plan to send them an email to hopefully prevent this from happening to others..thanks again for your help!
PLEASE send the email. Just don't expect things to change. My store has been closed for almost 3 years and the TST40 package was old news back then. TST40 means 40 grams of Toasted Oak, but a TST40OAK label would be much more useful.

BTW, Spagnols incorporates a wide variety of oaks into their wine kits. Some are actually labelled oak. Some are in clear bags so that you can see what they are.

Steve

Just wanted to say, I love my first batch of wine....!!! thanks to all your help on my concern....:)

Im glad you like it, Just imagine how much better the even higher end kits can be.

funny I was thinking the same thing! curious if you know where I can access a site? that can tell me the flavors in a wine kit? I was trying to access Cellar Master sites for indications of what is in these kits? any ideas?

funny I was thinking the same thing! curious if you know where I can access a site? that can tell me the flavors in a wine kit? I was trying to access Cellar Master sites for indications of what is in these kits? any ideas?
I'm not sure what you mean. A Cellar Master Merlot should taste like an inexpensive Merlot. So maybe a site that describes the characteristics of wines?

BTW, Cellar Master is an RJ Spagnols kit that is sold thru chain stores, and carried by some Brew Shops as a low end inexpensive product. The product line is not listed on the RJ Spagnols web-site. If you visit one of the stores in the Edmonton area, they will probably be able to help you.

Steve

Latest posts

Back