Cellar Craft cellar craft kit question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish

Reaction score
hi people, i am making california merlot, cellar craft and i am in the clearing stage, where i put in the little powder bags to stop fermenting and then the chisosan and kieselol (spl) i think thats to group all particles together and clear the wine. the wine is now in a glass 23 litre carboy or glass bottle with air tight rubber bung with with the airlock plastioc piece in it. there were some bubbles in the next couple of days and i stirred it couple of times a day as per instructions to free gases. but the airlock is still releasing gasses and it has been over a week. although very seldom but i was under the impression this should have stopped by now as it is supposed to be ready for bottling next week. does anyone know if this is cool or will i have exploding wine bottles........also what can i do to rack from the glass to the plastic carboy thats easier than sucking on tube, there very strong smell off top of bottle due to rubber bung . its my first wine batch so all advice appreciated. cheers.

usually when you come out of secondary fermentation, theres no bubles for a few days. If you degassed properly, you shouldnt have any bubbling. how did you degass?

sg and gasses

well the sg was .998 after i racked from glass to plastic after initial 12 days of secondary ferment , then i added the two little pkts as per instruction, then moved back to galss and added the other two as per instruction. i have to check what the sg reading, will do tommorow, i am thinking about racking to plastic and back to glass to see if this will help...is this a good idea???? i don know. its says for it to be 14 days to settle and clear after the bags are mixed in, im on day nine, maybe i should wait. the only way i got rid of gases is i presume it happened automatically when i racked, is this not the case?? anyway i am appreciatin the swift replys. cool, thanks
fish

reading (sg)

ok WADE, just to finish answering you, i just done a reading, it was .996 on the hydrometer. i tasted it and i have to say was surprised how nice it was, it prob tastin as good as a twelve or fourteen dollar bottle, im in sydney and drink a lot of australian wine and it was pretty good, does it improve or would that be pretty much it with the home kit?. one other question, is it a good idea to filter and what do i use, ?? cheers

no.. kit wines that young are not anywhere near a barossa.

patience grasshopper.

Allie

reading now .996 , will i rack or wait another few days. is filtering good idea

More time for stuff to fall out is always better, just because your fining agent dropped out alot f stuff doesnt mean that there is nothing left to drop out, I always let it bulk age for around 6 months min.

To degas the wine with a spoon or rod, you really have to beat it like it owes you money. Giving it a bit of a stir won't do much of anything. I don't always degas, depending on the wine, but when I do I use a perforated paddle and I move it back and forth vigourously in a pail until it foams up alot. You'll know you're doing it right if you get a thick head on the wine like a pint of beer. Even though the instructions say "stir" you really want to agitate, not stir.

Hi Guys,

Sorry i'm picking up on this thread after a long time passed. However i'm really new to home winemaking and was looking to learn as much as possible before I begin my Cellar Craft kit. One question I had from the above is what does the '(spl)' stand for in the initial post when refering to the chisosan and Kieselol?? :?

All help greatly appreciated!

Cellar Craft Kits

Hi Guys,

Sorry i'm picking up on this thread after a long time passed. However i'm really new to home winemaking and was looking to learn as much as possible before I begin my Cellar Craft kit. One question I had from the above is what does the '(spl)' stand for in the initial post when refering to the chisosan and Kieselol?? :?

All help greatly appreciated!

Their just warning you that they aren't sure if the spelling is right on a word or in this case words. Chitosan and kieselsol.

Back