Cellar Craft Fans, Whats your favorite kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
The CC carmenere and the California Cab Sav are stellar after a year, and better at 1.5 years, as is the Rosso fortissimo. The Rosso has a funk though the wife isn't a fan of, I believe it's a heavy cassis which I enjoy, it's unlike any other wine I've tried. All three kits were made without an additional. The CC amarone and Walla Walla Washington cab Merlot are tasting fantastic so far tweaked only with cellaring tannins, they won't hit their one year anniversary until May though so they still need time. So far I think the California Cab Sav is my favorite but all are excellent. I have not made any others, although I'm curious to try the Washington Merlot and the Malbac. What's your favorite?

I have the Lodi Zin 4 weeks into an EM. Used BM 4x4. Hoping for good things.

For me, the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot is tops, and the Argentine Malbec is close behind. Amarone and Red Mountain Cab are good, too. (I think Red Mtn. Cab kits no longer exist...)

For me, the Walla Walla Cab/Merlot is tops, and the Argentine Malbec is close behind. Amarone and Red Mountain Cab are good, too. (I think Red Mtn. Cab kits no longer exist...)
Red mountain cab doesn’t exist anymore, I might try the Malbec. No one has tried the California cab sav? Walla walla is really good so far but it needs more time to have a fair judgement. I just can’t decide which one to do next, I hate when I only have half a kit left that’s been aging over a year. Either another of the same so you never run out, or something new.

Last edited:
If you guys that have done both had to chose one overall would it be the CC Showcase or RJS EP?

If you guys that have done both had to chose one overall would it be the CC Showcase or RJS EP?

Depends on the kit, I will likely do the Walla Walla cab Merlot repeatedly, but the RJS Amarone won out of the Showcase Amarone in my house. Overall I do a lot more RJS EP then I do the CC Showcase.

I have only ever bought the Cru International kits, I’ve yet to try the RJS EP

Depends on the kit, I will likely do the Walla Walla cab Merlot repeatedly, but the RJS Amarone won out of the Showcase Amarone in my house. Overall I do a lot more RJS EP then I do the CC Showcase.

I agree with Jeff. I could not make a generalization on which brand is best. Probably the best kit I ever made was a CC Carmenere but I have made a number of RJS EPs that were great. I really depends on the year and the variety. I feel both brands are excellent and better than WinExpert, which is what I make mostly because they are more readily and cost effectively available to me. That said, I do some "enhancements" to the WE kits which I did not have to do to the RJS or CC.

I agree with Jeff. I could not make a generalization on which brand is best. Probably the best kit I ever made was a CC Carmenere but I have made a number of RJS EPs that were great. I really depends on the year and the variety. I feel both brands are excellent and better than WinExpert, which is what I make mostly because they are more readily and cost effectively available to me. That said, I do some "enhancements" to the WE kits which I did not have to do to the RJS or CC.
Oh yes, the carmenere is fantastic. I have one bottle left that's 2.5 years old, I started a new batch that is about 8 months old.

Latest posts

Back