Cellar Craft Cellar Craft - Clarity at final stage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conohara

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a 6 wk, no fruit Cellar Craft Chilean Cabernet/Merlot blend. I'm in the Stabilization/Clearing phase and have added the Kieselsol and Chitosan last week. Now I'm seeing a fine whitish material on the sides of the glass carboy. I'm assuming this is the result of the fining agents. I've tapped on the glass to see if I can get it to fall to the bottom, but no luck.

I'm concerned that when I'm ready to bottle, this will release from the glass as I siphon and end up in the wine.

Any advice? Will this eventually drop on its own? Can I dislodge it?

Give the carboy a few very quick twists a couple of times until it all makes it to the bottom. Another trick is to keep the carby tilted by putting a small wedge under 1 side so that all the sediment ends up on one side so that when you rack off it you just gently tilt the carboy to the other side and put the racking cane in the celar area giving you a cleaner transfer over to next vessel.

Give the carboy a few very quick twists a couple of times until it all makes it to the bottom. Another trick is to keep the carby tilted by putting a small wedge under 1 side so that all the sediment ends up on one side so that when you rack off it you just gently tilt the carboy to the other side and put the racking cane in the celar area giving you a cleaner transfer over to next vessel.
Thanks - great tip - worked right away. This ordinarily would be the last carboy before bottling, but I was thinking I might want to rack one more time. Would that be a good idea or should it be fine the way it is (it still has a couple of more weeks to settle)?

I dont bottle any wine until its been in a carboy a month with no sediment dropping.

well you have put a nice effort............i think it will drop eventually....lets hope for the best.........

Latest posts

Back