Cellar Craft CC Sterling Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berry Juice

Berry Juice
Reaction score
Hello all, In another post, I mentioned making my first Amarone kit. It was suggested to add an Allgrape pack. Is this good advice? I plan on using BM4X4 and all the Fermaid K at first and O later.
I also want to save the skins that came with it for my next kit (Cab\Zin\Syrah) should I use the muslin bag or free float and just pour the kit on the old lees and skins?
Sorry for the multiple questions.1545587421361.jpeg

I would have bumped up the adv, added one cup of raisins to the primary, 1tablespoon of tannins once youvey moved into the secondary add another doce of tannins then let it rest for a year if you can.
The grape pack will make the Amarone sweeter than it should be.Just my thoughts

Thanks for the advice Joe, I'll keep that in mind. I'll start it after the holidays and consider it a 2019 Xmas present!![emoji106]

This kit comes with a grape pack,IMO I would save the mosti pack to run with your next kit.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe I'll take Joe's advise, I have a box of currants or should I use plain raisin

Use the raisins.,. keep the grape pack for a pino noir or another fruity wine or is it to make a tasty blush.

Hey Joe , do I just put the raisins straight from the box or semi boil them like a Fpack

Just drop them in the primary they'll rehydrate on their ouw the alcohol will extract the juices from them .
Your looking for a ABV from 14/15 , pH level around 4%. Timr is the key factor for this one the longer you let it set the better it gets, Amarone is not a wine for everyone it has a very distinct taste of it's own.
Find out the meaning of the word Amarone that day it all.

I use the same Mosti Grapepacks and now split them in half and one pack lets me add to two kits. My local store recommended this as the pack is quite large and it has been positive.

Just started this project this morning and did just that. Also added a box of currants and half the grape pack. Hit it with BM4X4, Opti red, rogue ft, and up the SG to 1.115. Now just need to figure out how long to let it sit on the skins.

Hello all, In another post, I mentioned making my first Amarone kit. It was suggested to add an Allgrape pack. Is this good advice? I plan on using BM4X4 and all the Fermaid K at first and O later.
I also want to save the skins that came with it for my next kit (Cab\Zin\Syrah) should I use the muslin bag or free float and just pour the kit on the old lees and skins?
Sorry for the multiple questions.View attachment 52617
Hi Berry Juice,

I agree with @jgmann67 that this would be a good kit for extended maceration. I didn't do that with mine, but would give it an extra 2-3 weeks on the lees, raisins, and skins after fermentation is done.
https://winefolly.com/review/winemakers-red-wine-secret-extended-maceration/

Once you do rack of the lees/raisins/skins, you may still want some raisins in during aging to get closer to the real deal. If so, I'd put a cup of them loose in the carboy.

I have made an amarone Mosti Meglioli kit with grapes and raisins and it's pretty good. I used oak dust in primary, 2 full medium toast plus spirals during aging, and about 1 tablespoon of finishing tannins during aging. I fermented to dry in the primary fermenter. I bulk-aged until clear and degassed, which took over a year, adding 1/4 tsp kmeta every 3 months (didn't rack until bottling). Then I bottled and have continued aging.

Here's the typical process for Italian makers, who ferment slow and cool with a lot of raisins and oak.
https://winefolly.com/review/amarone-wine-turns-raisins-into-gold/
Amarone-della-Valpolicella-wine-information-sheet.jpg

Absolutely perfect information!! Just what I was looking for, I plan on keeping it in bulk for at least a year, so will see where this ends up for 2020!

I remember when i first stated to use rasinins in the primary ,I was called a terrible winemaker and not to follow my threads.About this subject.
Keep on thinking outside the box.

Quick question, once I'm done with this EM for 6 weeks and I put it in the carboy for a year, can I use the leftover lees and skins and dump a cheap kit on top of it and make a batch of cab from it?

Got a question, my Amarone started off with a beautiful aroma last weekend, then added the chems cuz SG was at .995, I'm at day 15 in the EM process. Haven't opened the bucket since but now the smell has a sour smell, is that normal for doing a EM?

Got a question, my Amarone started off with a beautiful aroma last weekend, then added the chems cuz SG was at .995, I'm at day 15 in the EM process. Haven't opened the bucket since but now the smell has a sour smell, is that normal for doing a EM?

Sour isn’t necessarily bad... sulfur is bad. I’m a little concerned with doing an EM in a bucket, though. Usually, there’s too much headspace. And, with the lid, you can’t really tell what your skins are doing and need to keep opening it up daily to keep the skins wet.

At two weeks, have your skins sunk?

Also, to answer your first question. IMO - no. Once you’re done with your EM, throw the skins and lees out. You’ve gotten all the good stuff out of them.

When I dropped the chems, all the skins had all just about dropped. So I've never opened it since and just give it an aggressive slosh every day. So I feel no issue to co2. So what is the smell supposed to be at this point?

Latest posts

Back