Cellar Craft CC Showcase Viognier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about a case still of some of my first whites that are almost 2 years old now. I will use those for cooking every now and then but not any of my CC stuff!

I always get a good clean rack after the fines have settled for 3-4 weeks and then pour what's left into another bottle and let the fines settle again and then either pour that off slowly back into the carboy or rack off with a small piece of tubing. Some like Chardonnay and the Viognier can take a full year to really develop (we are speaking of the big kits now, not the low end kits). Then on the other end of the spectrum are the quick drinkers such as Riesling and Pinot Grigio.

Started a CC Viognier today (5/23) and I am wondering if anyone tried adding the flavor pack with the concentrate prior to inoculating with the yeast. The instructions state to add the FP at the clearing stage. My concern is the wine may finish on the sweet side. Any input?

If you want your wine dry add all the FP up front. On some of these CC white wines I added 1/2 the FP up front and then added the other half once cleared with the Sorbate. The wine ends up just with a hint of sweetness and that was right in the sweet spot for me.

If you want your wine dry add all the FP up front. On some of these CC white wines I added 1/2 the FP up front and then added the other half once cleared with the Sorbate. The wine ends up just with a hint of sweetness and that was right in the sweet spot for me.
Thank you for the prompt reply, after which I did as you suggested. I had already pitched the yeast an hour prior. My SG was 1.09 prior to adding half the FP. l don't think the addition will raise the SG by much. I didn't remeasure it since I had already added the yeast.

Back