Cellar Craft CC Showcase Amarone Kit Tips?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to manufacturer this AM. They said they would have been fine with starting fermentation at 1.077, and they expected that the remaining sugar to reach 14% was stuck in the muslin back (in spite of my explaining that it had been there over night with multiple stirrings and no change in SG). She also said "people put too much emphasis on day 1 specific gravity, don't worry about it, the sugar is there." Not incredibly helpful.

I would tend to agree with the manufacturer. I made this kit numerous times and it definitely has a higher ABV. It never disappoints! It's been in my yearly roatation for years. Give it time, there's no doubt in my mind you will enjoy it!

I would tend to agree with the manufacturer. I made this kit numerous times and it definitely has a higher ABV. It never disappoints! It's been in my yearly roatation for years. Give it time, there's no doubt in my mind you will enjoy it!
What's your typical starting gravity?

Usually 1.070 - 1.080 before adding sugar. I add the sugar directly into the fermenter. I don't make a simple syrup.
So that’s where I was... how much sugar do you add? Folks talk about chaptalizing to 1.1, but to get 23 L of juice from 1.077 to 1.1 takes 3 lbs of sugar...

Quite honestly, I never measure it. 3 lbs sounds about right.
So that’s where I was... how much sugar do you add? Folks talk about chaptalizing to 1.1, but to get 23 L of juice from 1.077 to 1.1 takes 3 lbs of sugar...

Personally, I think with the addition of the sugar, the ending ABV is somewhere in the range of 15-16%.
Talked to manufacturer this AM. They said they would have been fine with starting fermentation at 1.077, and they expected that the remaining sugar to reach 14% was stuck in the muslin back (in spite of my explaining that it had been there over night with multiple stirrings and no change in SG). She also said "people put too much emphasis on day 1 specific gravity, don't worry about it, the sugar is there." Not incredibly helpful.

Ok , there's .no problem with adding the skins at the start of fermentation,that's normal ,,putting 3 lbs. Of raw sugar that's another thing all together..
If you don't see much of a change, then find a way to heat up the batch for at least 3 to 4 days then let it come to rest then see if the years reactivates, if not add another package of e 1118 ,just sprinkling on top and covered.

Ok , there's .no problem with adding the skins at the start of fermentation,that's normal ,,putting 3 lbs. Of raw sugar that's another thing all together..
If you don't see much of a change, then find a way to heat up the batch for at least 3 to 4 days then let it come to rest then see if the years reactivates, if not add another package of e 1118 ,just sprinkling on top and covered.
How much sugar do you use, Joe?

I'm not to sure what you're saying Joe??? After adding the raw sugar, the SG raised to around 1.10. Fermentation started the 1st day I added the yeast and it fermented completely dry(.994-.996) in about 6-7 days.

Last edited:
Raw sugar doesn't desolve properly like simply syurp I was surprised the low starting ABV. Especially after you said you shorted on the water , it just doesn't add up , just my thoughts.

I’m sorry - I believe that the skins bag will add to the sugar and bump your anticipated ABV, but I disagree that it will move you from below 12% to anything above 13%. Maybe I’m being overly skeptical.

I don’t know that I would have done 3# of sugar either. But, it will be interesting how hot this winds up at the end.

Also, I’m with Joe - simple syrup over sugar. It’s more manageable for me.

I just bottled my double batch after bulk aging for 6+ months. It wasn't hot at all at bottling.

You could also choose to add sugar in a different way. Raisins are basically little sugar bombs and you could cut the sugar with more raisins.

You could ,. But not advisable, you really need to check the brand and content ( rasins) they also may add a taste that's not wanted in certain wine styles.
Simple syrup is the way to go for a home wine Maker. It desolve better in the mix and you can control the process and that's the most important thing to me.
If you followed all my thread's you know I use Rasins and fruits all the time.

Not all grape packs are created the same, you really don't know what in them, how wet,or dry the content we assume it's what we need but is ?
I use them but always follow the instructions and using the chems.that come with the mix.

If you follow my thread's you know I always think outside the box.

You could ,. But not advisable, you really need to check the brand and content ( rasins) they also may add a taste that's not wanted in certain wine styles.
Simple syrup is the way to go for a home wine Maker. It desolve better in the mix and you can control the process and that's the most important thing to me.
If you followed all my thread's you know I use Rasins and fruits all the time.

Joe, I am terribly confused. @Lwrightjs was suggesting to add raisins to Amarone. Adding raisins to Amarone is practically your signature tweak:

Amarone

PARTNERS IN THE MIX...........:i HERE ARE THE PARTNERS IN THE MIX,SIMPLE SYRUP TO BOOST THE ADV. TO AROUND 14%
RAISINS TO ADD THE DEPTH THAT IS AMARONE AND WINE TANNINS FOR STRUCTURE AND SMOOTHNESS, FINALLY A GRAPE FPAC THIS WINE TAKES TIME TO DEVELOP IT MIGHT BE A 8 WEEK KIT BUT BELIEVE ME IT BECOMES A STAR IN ONE TO TWO FULL YEARS AND BEYOND THAT A $65.OO BOTLLE OF WINE .FOLLOW THE PROCESS AS WE TAKE OUR AMARONE TO A DIFFERENT LEVEL.

View attachment 16892

View attachment 16893

View attachment 16894

View attachment 16895

View attachment 16898

I could be mistaken but what I thought I read, was, to add the raisins in place of the simple syrup and that is not correct, for all taste profiles . Amarone yes and some Spanish wines ,yes but not just randomly. That's why I stated what I did. My mistake ,,the partnerships in wines structure and all it's make up is important to the process an the finish product.

Yep! Definitely meant in this case.
For another wine, I'd consider cutting sugar with currants maybe. But only if I needed a raised OG

Latest posts

Back