Cellar Craft CC Porto Corinto & Orchard Brezin Blackberry Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnmar

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago on a trip to Dallas, I purchased 4 kits, another CC Orange Muscat, a CC Gruener Veltliner, CC Porto Corinto, and a RJS Orchard Breezin Blackberry Merlot. I started a Orange Muscat two months ago and it sitting in the carboy, stabilized, clear and getting a little age on it but I must say it's nothing less than wonderful. Knowing how good it is made be get the second kit because I know 3 gal isn't going to last long.

Following the lead of another vintner on another forum, on Feb, 23, I blended the Porto Corinto with the Blackberry Merlot, added about half of the blackberry F-pac and reserved the rest along with the Black Current F-pac from the Porto Corinto and enough water to make 6 1/4 gal in the primary. Starting Sg was 1.140. I made a starter using 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice, one cup of blended grape juice, and one cup of water. Pitched two packs of EC-1118 and let it go to work. In the mean time I added nutrient and half of the prescribed amount of energizer to the blend. 12 hours later I pitched to yeast starter.

Fermentation started within a few hours and a very active fermentation progressed nicely for 9 days maintaining about 75 degrees. When Sg reached 1.034 I snapped the lid down on the Primary and added an airlock.

Checked SG last night and it was at 1.015. I splash racked everything to carboy at that time. FermCalc tells me it's at 17.2% ABV now. Since racking activity has picked up a bit some of that could be some CO2 I suppose. The wine looks beautiful, aroma is very nice, taste is as expected, yeasty and a bit harsh but very very nice. The 17.2% alcohol is good, not overwhelming at all.

I had planned on fortifying this wine to 18-20% ABV but I'm thrilled that I may not need to after all. I'll let it go until it quits which probably won't be a lot longer. Lalvin says the EC-1118 is good to 18% and it appears it'll make it there or at least pretty close. At a later date and after stabilizing I'll add the remaining F-pacs for back-sweetening. I believe this is going to make a wonderful dessert/port combo.

I've taken pictures throughout and will post later.

I don't think too many do this as it's a pretty unorthodox approach. Most would ferment the kits separate then blend to taste I think. However when I first read the thread, saw the pictures, then communicated with the man, I decided I wanted to take my chances and give it a try. There's no doubt the Porto Corinto would be a very nice wine on it's own.

One of my questions I posed to him is what would he do different if he did it again. "Nothing, just make more of it", he replied.

I haven't checked the SG in a few days but the wine is still slowly bubbling along. it must be getting close to 18% ABV range by now. And as I said, even at this early point it's quite tasty. I still have half of one F-Pac and all the other one to add after stabilizing. I'm really glad I did it and looking forward to the finished product.

Latest posts

Back