CC Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these kits? I'm disappointed that they cheaper out...perhaps due to the cost of the grapes but they gave a crappy 30g bag of chips...no cubes. Looks like I'll have to add my own cubes as Amarone is pretty heavily oaked. Does anyone know why they provided 9.5G of Sulphites instead of the typically 4G? This seems like alot. The only reason I can possibly think of is because the grape pack looks almost double what is usually provided in a cellar Craft kit.

Has anyone tried these kits? I'm disappointed that they cheaper out...perhaps due to the cost of the grapes but they gave a crappy 30g bag of chips...no cubes. Looks like I'll have to add my own cubes as Amarone is pretty heavily oaked. Does anyone know why they provided 9.5G of Sulphites instead of the typically 4G? This seems like alot. The only reason I can possibly think of is because the grape pack looks almost double what is usually provided in a cellar Craft kit.
Yes, with excellent results. Look closer at the packet, it's Sulphite and Sorbate combined. I would personally toss it in the trash and provide my own sulphite. No need for sorbate in a dry wine.

Yes, with excellent results. Look closer at the packet, it's Sulphite and Sorbate combined. I would personally toss it in the trash and provide my own sulphite. No need for sorbate in a dry wine.
hmm yeah I never add sorbate, ill take a closer look. Did you add more oak? Did they cheap out on the oak or was that intentional?

hmm yeah I never add sorbate, ill take a closer look. Did you add more oak? Did they cheap out on the oak or was that intentional?
I almost always add more oak during bulk aging. They all cheap out on oak, and water (premium kits should be 23L).

We have made the C C Amarone 3 times. It’s always awesome after 3 years. We do add extra oak in the primary And at the first few rackings we add an oak spiral. We have our 2018 in a barrel now for almost 6 months, first time we have had this kit in a barrel. Time will tell. Roy

I almost always add more oak during bulk aging. They all cheap out on oak, and water (premium kits should be 23L).
Did you ever perform an extended maceration on the kit? Im contemplating it but it seems like its pretty risky, they gave a massive grape pack aswell...looks almost double what they normally give.

We have made the C C Amarone 3 times. It’s always awesome after 3 years. We do add extra oak in the primary And at the first few rackings we add an oak spiral. We have our 2018 in a barrel now for almost 6 months, first time we have had this kit in a barrel. Time will tell. Roy
I've always been curious about the barrels, how do you know how full it is or if its topped up all the way? where do you buy them?

I bought mine from Vadi Barrels. Hungarian oak. Have 2 forty liter ones and a 23 liter one. I top them off every 2 weeks. It takes a full 750 ml wine bottle to top off the 2 forty liter barrels. I just pop the silicone bung out and look into the top of the barrel with a flash light. It amazes me how much wine evaporates thru the barrels. I like what the barrels have done to my Cabs and Malbecs. Sure the Amarone will be the same. Roy

Did you ever perform an extended maceration on the kit? Im contemplating it but it seems like its pretty risky, they gave a massive grape pack aswell...looks almost double what they normally give.
I haven't made that kit again since I started doing EM. But I would definitely recommend it based on the others I've done.

I bought mine from Vadi Barrels. Hungarian oak. Have 2 forty liter ones and a 23 liter one. I top them off every 2 weeks. It takes a full 750 ml wine bottle to top off the 2 forty liter barrels. I just pop the silicone bung out and look into the top of the barrel with a flash light. It amazes me how much wine evaporates thru the barrels. I like what the barrels have done to my Cabs and Malbecs. Sure the Amarone will be the same. Roy
ugh that seems like such a pain to use barrels. Is there any advantage with that compared to oak cubes in glass?

In addition to adding tannins, the barrels allow evaporation (that results in the "pain" you cite), which is purported to concentrate the flavors in the wine. Also, a small amount of oxygen ("micro-oxidation) is purported to soften the wine's taste and help with maturation.

Kuziwk, only time will tell. I have 3, 5 and 1 yr old CC Amarones When the barrel one is 2+ yrs old I can taste test it against the then 4 & 6 yr non barrel ones. My need a few friends if I open 3 bottles of Amarone ! Roy

Just bottled this wine and had about half a bottle left at the end. This is easily the best tasting wine I’ve consumed on bottling day. Its going to be spectacular once it gets some age on it. Too bad CC had to mess with their kits, who knows what the new format holds.

From what I can tell CC is gone, the are now just branded VineCo and are just repacks on the Winexpert kits. Really is a shame as the CC amarone and the Walla Walla Cab Merlot were 2 of the best kits I ever made, far better then any of the WE Eclipse I have made.

I have the new Vineco Signature Amarone in secondary. The product seemed much the same as I can remember the CC was other than 2L less. The must had a rich smell and was a brick color. It came with labels as well for those that are curious. I’m optimistic that the new kits will be just as good as the previous series.

From what I can tell CC is gone, the are now just branded VineCo and are just repacks on the Winexpert kits. Really is a shame as the CC amarone and the Walla Walla Cab Merlot were 2 of the best kits I ever made, far better then any of the WE Eclipse I have made.

CC has just changed to the VineCo name in an effort to create a clearer “brand name”. VineCo and winexpert are both produced in the same facility’s in bc/Ontario but are different products. The bc facility is closing and everything will be out of St Catharines. VineCo is not a repack it is simply a different brand under the same umbrella, both owned by peller.

I should add the new signature amarone comes with cubes, as do all the signature series wines except the Pinot noir. I have a batch of every new signature wine going and at 7 weeks they all taste as good or better then the old equivalent.

Last edited:
And the quest goes on.
A kit by anyother name 🤔 I think it's what you want it to become.🍇

Latest posts

Back