CC Amarone

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by kuziwk, Apr 13, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Apr 13, 2019 #1

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

Has anyone tried these kits? I'm disappointed that they cheaper out...perhaps due to the cost of the grapes but they gave a crappy 30g bag of chips...no cubes. Looks like I'll have to add my own cubes as Amarone is pretty heavily oaked. Does anyone know why they provided 9.5G of Sulphites instead of the typically 4G? This seems like alot. The only reason I can possibly think of is because the grape pack looks almost double what is usually provided in a cellar Craft kit.

2. Apr 13, 2019 #2

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

Yes, with excellent results. Look closer at the packet, it's Sulphite and Sorbate combined. I would personally toss it in the trash and provide my own sulphite. No need for sorbate in a dry wine.

3. Apr 13, 2019 #3

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

hmm yeah I never add sorbate, ill take a closer look. Did you add more oak? Did they cheap out on the oak or was that intentional?

4. Apr 13, 2019 #4

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

I almost always add more oak during bulk aging. They all cheap out on oak, and water (premium kits should be 23L).

5. Apr 13, 2019 #5

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

Senior Member WMT Supporter

We have made the C C Amarone 3 times. It’s always awesome after 3 years. We do add extra oak in the primary And at the first few rackings we add an oak spiral. We have our 2018 in a barrel now for almost 6 months, first time we have had this kit in a barrel. Time will tell. Roy

jumby likes this.
  6. Apr 13, 2019 #6

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

Did you ever perform an extended maceration on the kit? Im contemplating it but it seems like its pretty risky, they gave a massive grape pack aswell...looks almost double what they normally give.

7. Apr 13, 2019 #7

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

I've always been curious about the barrels, how do you know how full it is or if its topped up all the way? where do you buy them?

8. Apr 13, 2019 #8

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

I bought mine from Vadi Barrels. Hungarian oak. Have 2 forty liter ones and a 23 liter one. I top them off every 2 weeks. It takes a full 750 ml wine bottle to top off the 2 forty liter barrels. I just pop the silicone bung out and look into the top of the barrel with a flash light. It amazes me how much wine evaporates thru the barrels. I like what the barrels have done to my Cabs and Malbecs. Sure the Amarone will be the same. Roy

9. Apr 14, 2019 #9

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

I haven't made that kit again since I started doing EM. But I would definitely recommend it based on the others I've done.

10. Apr 14, 2019 #10

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

ugh that seems like such a pain to use barrels. Is there any advantage with that compared to oak cubes in glass?

11. Apr 14, 2019 #11

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

In addition to adding tannins, the barrels allow evaporation (that results in the "pain" you cite), which is purported to concentrate the flavors in the wine. Also, a small amount of oxygen ("micro-oxidation) is purported to soften the wine's taste and help with maturation.

12. Apr 15, 2019 #12

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

FTC Wines

Kuziwk, only time will tell. I have 3, 5 and 1 yr old CC Amarones When the barrel one is 2+ yrs old I can taste test it against the then 4 & 6 yr non barrel ones. My need a few friends if I open 3 bottles of Amarone ! Roy