Catnip Wine - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, seriously.
I grow and dry it every year and the cats were begging for wine so I finally gave in.
Made some test tea. The usual teaspoon per cup was almost flavorless to me. Increasing the amount got my interest and I definitely thought there was a possible wine to be made. I settled on 2 tablespoons per cup - yeow! And being a "mint" wine I went with citric acid rather than acid blend.
Funny thing - while I was making the tea the kitchen was very crowded.
Transferred to secondary this morning.
Has a slight mint wine aroma.
The flavor in primary was very familiar and it remained when I transferred - root beer. By "root beer" I mean there's a hint of ginger and sassafras and sarsparilla and even vanilla. I wasn't expecting so many different flavors. Once again, something crazy has made something delicious.
My cats will be happy....but they have to be patient.

catnip 1.jpg catnip 2.jpg

Reaction score
Dave, you never cease to amaze me. [In a good way!]

Are we going to find you on the floor, squirming and twisting in a catnip fueled binge? I'd drop a bit of catnip on the carpet and our cats would go wild, especially the male.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave, you never cease to amaze me. [In a good way!]

Are we going to find you on the floor, squirming and twisting in a catnip fueled binge? I'd drop a bit of catnip on the carpet and our cats would go wild, especially the male.
Actually, with 2 tablespoons of catnip in a cup of tea I started to feel funny and can't account for almost 2 hours.:oops:

I love watching the cats - some act like addicts...and some are confused by the ones acting like addicts.

And thank you, Bryan. When I get remarkable and interesting flavors from common (or uncommon) ingredients it does wonders for my enthusiasm and ambition.

Latest posts