catawba question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
hubby and i planted one lonely catawba this year just to check it out and see how things progress. (practice for next spring, i hope). i fear it has not faired well in our record breaking temps. and record breaking drought (more than 10 in. behind for the year:rn
my question is, should i have watered it more?
we have watered it and the peach trees some, but i know grapes don't like "wet feet". anyone else have catawba?
thanks

If this was it's first year, don't worry too much about it not growing super this year. It will grow more next year. How much you need to water depends on the soil type at your location. Clay soils will hold water more than sany soil, but they get hard in the dry weather and heat, so still reuire some all summer. Sandy soil would need water every couple days minimum during the heat of summer.

It will be important to keep them sprayed to grow well as they are not very disease reistant to anything. I have quite a few of them and they are a very vigorous grower, but require a long season like you have there. Good luck with it. I hope it makes up for this year, next year.

thanks grapeman! we are very clay based. i am going to send in soil samples soon to our extension agent from the area where we are planning to put our vidal blanc. i am going to pick up some seyval grapes (will be my first wine from grapes) labor day weekend in missouri and i am going to talk to them about some norton vines, too. hubby doesn't want to go too overboard until we get some "backyard" experience, but i'm excited and think there will be a place for us in the grape market in the future here in west ky.:db

Back