Casual observation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Philosopher

Amateur
Reaction score
Wow...
Along with trying to learn the techniques of wine and cider making, there are plans to try brewing some beer.
So, after learning my lesson about seeking expert advice, I visited a Brewing Forum.
Holy bunghole, Batman! Going from here, to there, was like leaving a nightclub and walking into a karaoke bar on a Saturday night!
You folks are really mellow, compared to that bunch of hops-hounds! :sh

O.P., thats because we already know! LOL:sm

If you'd like to know more, please deposit another 25 cents in that little slot on the front of your computer!!:mny

Troy

What's a hops hound?

I hope you are being complimentary..( we're nice here!)

Allie:p

O P? we have a beer forum here..just post in there..

both Wade and Smurfe are dedicated beer brewers.

O.P. is a dedicated brewer, he meant the beer forum he went to was a bunch of braggortts and it was unfriendly. Not like us, as long as he continues to put the quarters in the appropriate slot I think we should treat him good. Someday we may need all his quarters.

I also make Beer. Just added Raspberries to my Ras Wheat in the secondary.
Which site did you visit?

Nothing derogatory intended!
It was, as stated, that my casual observation was that the two Forums had distinctly different "flavors", just like beer and wine do. :br

Many beer forums are ruled and frequented by juvenile punks or plain cranky dicks. I am a member of many and I have issue with many. Most are rude and if a newbie asks a question is to scream at them to do a SEARCH and they go back to their juvenile banter. This really gets under my skin. Most newbies do not know what terms to use to search and if everyone is just searching there is no VALUED contribution to the forum and forums that have no activity die.

I don't really consider myself a beer brewer. However, I have been making beer for 10 years or so. We definitely enjoy what is produced. I make it the simple way. Buy a "wort kit". It is basically like a wine kit. There is a bag of wort that you pour into a primary. Top up to 23 litres with water. Read instructions for any other additives, then sprinkle the yeast. No boiling, no muss, no fuss.

Tom, Wade, etc don't consider this to be real beer making, but the results are pretty good. I used to know an award winning scratch beer brewer. His younger brother made some beer from these kits, and he was quite impressed.

OP, I don't know where Rocky Mountain Shangri-La is, so I am assuming Lake Louise. Brands are Spagnols Brewhouse, Magnotta Festa Brew, Vineco Brewers Spring, and Winexpert Barons. There is at least one more but I haven't seen it in a while, and can't remember the name. There used to be one out of Saskatoon SK (Paddockwood), but I don't think they do kits any more.

Steve

Last edited:
Many beer forums are ruled and frequented by juvenile punks or plain cranky dicks. I am a member of many and I have issue with many. Most are rude and if a newbie asks a question is to scream at them to do a SEARCH and they go back to their juvenile banter. This really gets under my skin. Most newbies do not know what terms to use to search and if everyone is just searching there is no VALUED contribution to the forum and forums that have no activity die.
Smurfe, being a new comer, I didn't want to be that blunt. ;)
Your observations are just what I noticed. The first thing I noticed on the particular forum I visited was that new visitors were immediately admonished to "search a topic before you ask a stupid question for the 10th time." When I did that, and found a thread on the topic I wanted, most of the replies were off-topic, to say the least.

Tom, Wade, etc don't consider this to be real beer making, but the results are pretty good. I used to know an award winning scratch beer brewer. His younger brother made some beer from these kits, and he was quite impressed.
Steve
This is why I'm trying to get educated about brewing, before jumping in. On one hand, I go to FVW and find a brewing kit with hydrometer, siphon tubes, and 5 gallon buckets. On the other hand, there are kits that come with a keg and plastic bottles and say, "mix it together and drink in 2 weeks." There seems to be a lot of middle ground.

I'm on the US side, about 60 miles from Lake Louise, as the raven flies. Good call on the geography! :h

Last edited:
I make wine becuz it's expensive at the store...beer is cheap (unless you are looking for a hopsy beer like Moosehead..)...my experience is that when I made beer, it made me into a beer snob. Everything else tasted like tap water.

I'm on the US side, about 60 miles from Lake Louise, as the raven flies. Good call on the geography! :h
Without using any maps...Essex MT? Izaak Walton Inn. That's my version of Rocky Mountain Shangri-La on the US side.

Steve

Without using any maps...Essex MT? Izaak Walton Inn. That's my version of Rocky Mountain Shangri-La on the US side.

Steve
Close enough, Steve. I don't get any more specific than that in open posts.
Check out my Album.

I was guessing Montana myself Steve. If he don't give us the $10 he owes us, I thnk we should track him dowm!!LOL
Troy

I love the traffic control photo Steve,

If only deer just wandered through my front yard like that..that's amazing.

Allie

If you plan on having an outdoor garden around here, the first task is to put up a 10 foot fence around it.

If you plan on having an outdoor garden around here, the first task is to put up a 10 foot fence around it.

10 ft? i thought it was 12? don't forget to top it with barb wire AND put some bird netting over the whole thing. :sn oh, and you also have to donate 10% of the first 5 years fruit to the closest member with over 100 posts during that time. lol

our garden is 35 ft x 80 ft and we plan on putting some fruit trees around the property (4 acres). nothing goes near the garden or becomes it too becomes food. :gb

Latest posts

Back