Carrot Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the addition of boiling water may help in some recipes. For herbs and flowers you're essentially making a tea first. I've also seen boiling water poured over veg/fruit in bags but then the bags are discarded and not used in primary.

Until the Wine Police tell me not to, and have a good reason, I'll continue to shred, bag, and put into primary. I've been successful so far.

My carrots finally arrived. Not bad for 8 months in the root cellar.
IMG_20220528_185251.jpg
I got 15 lbs washed up, trimmed and ready today.
IMG_20220528_192739.jpg
Now, I just need to pick some recipes. I have a third of this crate left, and 2 more. Don't know that I will get through this one though. I was planning on 3 gallon recipes. Might do a 3 gallon and 2 singles to experiment with different methods.

@vinny you lucky guy! My carrots just started poking up through the soil.

My vote would be for multiple batches. I think carrots would be great for experimenting. Some of the complimentary flavors I have in my head are star anise, cloves, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Quantities might be tricky to avoid overpowering the carrot.

Last year was just a crazy carrot year. So much so we planted one row less this year.

So, you are thinking I should go carrot cake style, huh? Would you ferment the spices in there or backsweeten and add in flavors after? I'm thinking fermentation changes flavours so much, I could do both, but if I want a note of something specific it would make more sense to add it at the end.

I'm going to find a solid carrot wine recipe and make a 3 gallon batch of simple carrot wine in the hopes it is just a nice sipper (or guzzler). I also want to see what a fast batch 'Carrot blood?' 😄 will produce, then I'll play around with flavours in different batches..

I wanted to try three different methods, Dragons Blood using carrot juice. Cooked carrots, and shredded carrots, just to see what makes the nicest flavour. I might start with the three methods as planned and then I can split batches and mess with flavours later. I'll decide on the recipes first, and go from there.

If it makes you feel better, this years carrots just went into the garden last week. You're well ahead of me.

So, you are thinking I should go carrot cake style, huh? Would you ferment the spices in there or backsweeten and add in flavors after? I'm thinking fermentation changes flavours so much, I could do both, but if I want a note of something specific it would make more sense to add it at the end.

I'm going to find a solid carrot wine recipe and make a 3 gallon batch of simple carrot wine in the hopes it is just a nice sipper (or guzzler). I also want to see what a fast batch 'Carrot blood?' 😄 will produce, then I'll play around with flavours in different batches..

I wanted to try three different methods, Dragons Blood using carrot juice. Cooked carrots, and shredded carrots, just to see what makes the nicest flavour. I might start with the three methods as planned and then I can split batches and mess with flavours later. I'll decide on the recipes first, and go from there.
You're so right about fermentation changing flavors. I'm leaning toward adding spices to secondary. Still a question about quantity. This will be uncharted territory for me. Guess I'll read, make a decision, see what happens.

Using brown sugar is an easier decision. My thought was to use it for back sweetening. Then I could go all brown or a combo.

I don't have a juicer so shredding was my first choice. Your cooked carrot idea has my interest! One thing's for sure - there's still time so tomorrow I plant more carrots!

I've seen this guy before, kind of amusing, but I stumbled on him looking for dandelion recipes yesterday. He is where I got the idea to add citrus. I realised it after you shared Keller's PDF, turns out he was using his recipe.

Another search for carrot wine and he came up on top again. He uses the boiling method I intend to try.

Seems simple enough

Alright... I think carrot wine is going to be a VERY interesting experiment.

I made 3 1 gallon-ish batches. The first was juiced carrots and I cooked the pulp and raisins and added them in a mesh bag. I used a few recipes for guides, but pretty well made a Carrot Blood (Danger Dave's recipe).

The other two were no added chemicals except peptic enzyme. The second I juice and I added the pulp in raw with raisins in a mesh bag. Then one lemon juiced with rind added directly to primary.

Third was as in the video above, sliced carrots cooked till tender with raisins added to hot water as it cooled, then added to a mesh bag. Also 1 lemon added with rind direct to primary. Only variation was no honey, I was at 1.100.

Number 2 got thinned as I was reading a recipe with cups and one with lbs and I figured I'd meet in the middle. I added 3 lbs with a potential ABV of 19% so I added a 4th litre of water and brought it down to 1.100

Off the hop the juiced carrot was almost delicious... Very sweet, as expected, but quite tasty. Prominent lemon with the carrot filling out afterwards. It is very easy to see how the flavours can work and blend to make a nice wine.

The boiled version is not anything pleasant at this point. It tastes fake. Like a lifesaver. The sugar and lemon are prominent and there is no carrot to back it up so it is just like a sweet lemon candy. It will be really interesting to see how much fermentation will be able to pull out the carrot flavour.

I'll let you know in a year or so!

Came across something I thought I'd pass on to you.

I've been collecting old wine making books. Interesting reads! One said the rule of thumb for root crops is to use older vegetables for wine making because they have less starch and will make a better wine. Haven't confirmed yet. I've got beet and carrot in the lineup this year so I'm curious.

I've been collecting old wine making books. Interesting reads! One said the rule of thumb for root crops is to use older vegetables for wine making because they have less starch and will make a better wine. Haven't confirmed yet. I've got beet and carrot in the lineup this year so I'm curious.
Ugghh... you know what that means?

1 more carrot wine. 😄

I want to throw a frozen batch into the mix as mentioned elsewhere, but being the guy with last years carrots and 4 batches with different methods, I would be remiss not to do one with fresh carrots in another month or so to compare.

Then rhubarb, beets... 52, 53, 54... the gallon count continues. I'm officially 6 months in. 😬

The ones without chemicals are still working away. 2 weeks so far and still showing a little activity.

Makes sense. If you mulch your carrots and leave them in the ground as long as the soil remains unfrozen, or store them in a cold cellar, they will definitely taste sweeter

Then rhubarb, beets... 52, 53, 54... the gallon count continues. I'm officially 6 months in. 😬
I'm right behind you. Think I'm starting month #8.

I swear it takes all my willpower to ONLY make 2 different versions of a flavor element. That may change soon. I've got zucchini blossoms. I'm thinking plain zucchini wine and spicy Asian and Korean and Ratatouille for starters.

Latest posts

Back