Carrot greens --what to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch404

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been looking out the kitchen window at my neighbour’s garden, which right now is pretty baron. However there is a mess of carrots and beautiful carrot greens. I was thinking of making a wine out of his carrot greens. Of course I can not find any recipes online. The closest recipes I can find are parsley wine although the flavour is not quite the same; carrot greens can be a little bitter, but I'm hoping that levels off over time. So I'm looking for a little help on the recipe I'm putting together.

3-4 cups loosely packed of frozen carrot greens
1 can white grape juice concentrate
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tbl spoon of black tea (for tannins)
1 champagne yeast (it's just what I have)
Sugar up to 1090
water up to a gallon

Boiling water poured on greens, add the rest of ingredients into primary for a few days then into secondary till cleared enough to bottle. I imagine a pectin enzyme would help but I have none; I’m hoping that freezing will break down the cell structure enough.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks

T, I don't see any reason whatsoever you shouldn't make this work. I think you are on the right track following a parsley wine recipe. There are a few people in here who make basil wine.

Personnally I haven't tied to make wine from any kind of vegetables....YET!LOL

I too have a neighbor that loves to grow his carrots. I ALWAYS get the greens from him. I love to use them in soup etc. You can blach them first and freeze them, but I like to drie them out and use them just as I would dried parsley.

Keep us posted, would like to see how it turns out.

Troy

I realized I might need some acid in that recipe so I'll most likely juice a lemon into it as well.

a cup of black tea would help if you added that as well.

Allie

Latest posts

Back