Carpenter bees.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get it but they are great pollinators plus if you wait for a while a giant fly that looks like it will bite you (tiger bee fly) might come and parasitize the larvae.

They have gradually increased here and are in the process of destroying my oak barn, which was built in 1957. Many people will tell you to use treated lumber, but the new treated wood does not deter them like the old stuff did. I know from experience.

The best way to stop their drilling is to paint or varnish your wood. They are far less likely to drill into painted wood.

We have had great success stopping them in spot areas, and also wasps, with paper bags filled with wadded newspaper and hung up. The bees and wasps mistake the bags for hornet nests.

There are also bee traps that are basically like the baited fly traps you see, with a jar or container that catches them.

Then there is also the pesticide route, which I don't recommend but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

The best way to stop their drilling is to paint or varnish your wood. They are far less likely to drill into painted wood.

We have had great success stopping them in spot areas, and also wasps, with paper bags filled with wadded newspaper and hung up. The bees and wasps mistake the bags for hornet nests.

Two great ideas. Plus stack some logs with some starter holes for them and they will have somewhere to go after you've plugged and painted their old holes.

BTW, males can't sting and females hardly ever do unless you grab them.

Two great ideas. Plus stack some logs with some starter holes for them and they will have somewhere to go after you've plugged and painted their old holes.

BTW, males can't sting and females hardly ever do unless you grab them.

Yep, they've never stung me. But they are HIGHLY destructive, over the years.

Mine love the cedar trim around my shop doors. As i'm working, their buzzing gives them away. Simple solutions... I keep a tennis racket next to the doorway. They're big and hover as they check you out. The racket is very effective.

Carpenter bees are drilling into my dad's house. Dad built with exposed timber in Missouri. Boy, I won't make that mistake on my house. I painted exposed lumber with a good outdoor paint and so far it has helped a lot. I have to do touchups here and there when I catch a particularly stubborn bee.

1623492807926.pnghttps://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/garde...ce/build-your-own-carpenter-bee-trap-pictures
How to build
3/4” x 5” x 4’ per trap

Untreated Cedar (Fence Picket works well)
Soft Pine also works well
Screw in eyelet for top to hang

Cut into:
4 x 8” for sides
2 x 7” for Top
1 x 6” for Bottom

Drill 1/2” holes an 1 1/2” from top at 45* on 3 sides (angle to prevent sun from shining in).
Drill 1/2” or 9/16” in cap of bottle (just inside threads)
Drill 1 1/8” hole in bottom of trap for bottle top (tap or glue in bottle top into btm of trap)

Latest posts

Back