Carmenere yeast choice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distancerunner

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you've reached retirement age, you come to terms with the fact that conquering this art is at least partially a function of the number of vintages left to you. You realize that doubling the number of vintages is a REALLY good idea. Toward that end we've ordered Chilean grapes from our local supplier. The order arrives in about ten days.

We selected Cabernet Franc, which we've worked with in the past, and Carmenere. This grape variety is new to us. Researching the internet provides a few clues. The two that stand out are that if the fruit is ripe the can be either fruit forward or structured. (What does "structured" mean? Concrete block, steel, and two bys?) But when the grapes are under-ripe there is a risk of vegetal and herbaceous notes of green bell pepper, and paprika. Not a fan.

The plan is to choose and stock in a couple of different yeasts. One for ripe fruit and one for not so ripe. Scott labs manual recommends (with capsule recommendations):

Alchemy IV: Fruit forward, decreases vegetal notes
CVRP: Enhanced mouthfeel
ICV-GRE: Short skin contact
Rhone 2226: Choice for imitating Rhone
RP15: Medium to full body wines
CSM: Minimizes herbaceous notes

We've never worked with any of these yeasts and know nothing more than what is stated in the manual.

Current, underinformed, quick picks are Rhone 2226 and CSM. Alchemy IV looks like it might be one size fits all. Or not.

We're open to all ideas, suggestions, and opinions.

Didn't you say in another thread you already had Avante? Carmenere is anther Bordeaux grape. Just use the Avante.

I do not have Avante. We were attempting to purchase Alicante grapes last fall. So that might be it.

I have some BM 4X4 and some QA23.

Do you think it is a good idea to treat the Carmenere like a Cab Sauv or Cab Franc? The bell pepper notes are what I'd like to avoid. Would Avante help with that?

Do you think it is a good idea to treat the Carmenere like a Cab Sauv or Cab Franc? The bell pepper notes are what I'd like to avoid. Would Avante help with that?

Yes, that is what I would do. Keep it simple. Avante is quick, clean and reliable. It cannot make H2S. It even helps you with the malic acid. I'll send you some if you want to try it.

QA23 I believe is a white wine yeast. I think if your fruit tastes good as grapes, it will ferment just fine and make wine.
RP15 might be another good choice on paper, although my 1 experience with it was not great.(the grapes had issues and so did the wine which I poured out-see my 2019 thread if interested in the saga).

"Structured" is what wineries say when they leave out the ripe fruit flavors. Just kidding, but "structured" is one of those poorly defined terms. Most people prefer a bit of the fruit taste in the end product.

I have had success with the Rhone 226 with Syrah and Cabernet Franc - fruit forward, but not a fruit-bomb. I like your idea of the CSM to reduce herbaceousness. However, unless the grapes were picked way under-ripe, they will continue to ripen on their journey north - to state the obvious.

Back