Carboy's What do you recommend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moral of the story is... Glass Carboys are great for making wine. But don't store pennies in em... ;)

Yeah, I think that really *is* the moral of the story.

Although I do know of a few statistically anomalous horror stories of explosive glass carboy brewing incidents.

Yeah, I think that really *is* the moral of the story.

Although I do know of a few statistically anomalous horror stories of explosive glass carboy brewing incidents.

Yeah... and I've seen pictures of some pretty nasty gashes from people dropping carboy's full of beer. Kept me using buckets until I decided to ferment in cornies.

So, am I hearing that the 5 gallon plastic water jugs are safe as far as chemical release is concerned. I hear all kinds of stories about not using them, I want to be safe, but worry a little about it.

So, am I hearing that the 5 gallon plastic water jugs are safe as far as chemical release is concerned. I hear all kinds of stories about not using them, I want to be safe, but worry a little about it.
You are NOT Hearing that from me. The water bottles are made of various different plastics. Even the PET water bottles are made from different PET plastic than the Better Bottles.

There is no evidence that I have seen that manufacturers design/test water bottles to hold wine or beer.

Steve

Snippet from Wiki:
"Possible toxicity of PET

An article published in Environmental Health Perspectives in November 2009 presented evidence that PET may yield endocrine disruptors under conditions of common use. Possible mechanisms include leaching of phthalates as well as leaching of antimony.[10] The risk of leaching appears to increase as a function of storage temperature and storage duration."

- http://ehsehplp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1289/ehp.0901253
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate#Possible_toxicity_of_PET

This argument goes on and on. I recently bought a couple Better Bottles(3 gals), they are NOT the collapsible type but are square and rigid. Personally, in my opinion only, they are easier to handle(weight wise) and apparently are safe for use with alcohol, even for long term bulk aging. I will post the website for them in a second. Decide for yourself. This is a subject I brought up in the begining days of my wine making "obsession" and I refuse to keep it going. We may as well argue whether or not you like Toyotas, Chevy's, or Fords.

Use the search engine in here and see the 500,000 threads and posts about this. I would prefer to use glass, and the better bottles are about the same cost. The bung is the same diameter as glass and anything that can be used on glass will work for a "Better Bottle"

Troy

Here is the link for the "Better Bottle" site.

http://www.better-bottle.com/technical_left.html

Until someone comes up with some proof either way, I am personally about tired of hearing this discussion. We have better things to discuss.

I am not a sales rep for Better Bottles, and I am by no means a chemist. but the Better Bottles work for me, and what ever you all choose to use, I hope it works well for you as well.

Troy

Just use what ever makes you feel better. this topic will likely never ever be resolved as to the is plastic bad for you just like the Aluminum vrs Stainless steel in any beer forum where they think Alzheimer's is linked to aluminum.

I think many of us agree that the Better Bottle and glass carboys are acceptable for wine-making, although we will each have our preferences.

The problem, in my eyes, is the people who think that the standard water cooler bottle is the same as a Better Bottle. It isn't.

BTW, Troy, the 6 US gallon Better Bottles take a #10 bung (at least the three I own do). I don't know about the 3 USG ones, but will take your word that it is the same as a glass carboy (#6.5 bung).

Steve

I agree with Wade and Steve on this one. Stick to either glass or Better Bottles and use the one that best suites you. I prefer glass carboys but if I had back issues or problems lifting carboys and no other means for racking, I would go with Better Bottles in a heart beat.

The researchers found that as the temperature rose and time passed, increasingly high levels of antimony were detectable in the bottles of water. Specifically, at 77° F, the release of antimony increased by as much as twofold over that at the cooler temperature — although the levels of the trace metal varied by brand, increasing significantly at 77 degrees F in only six out of 16 brands.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/why-you-shouldnt-drink-warm-bottled-water-98234856882.html

Antimony is needed to make PET, so cannot be avoided. Lots of studies show slow leaching, although not to harmful levels. I have not found studies on whether alcohol would affect leaching speeds. One would assume that over time, that the Antimony is eventually depleted.

Back