Carboys for primary fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm making wine for the first time with the Argentina Ridge Chateau Shiraz 4 week kit.

I have 4 glass 6 gallon carboys and one plastic bucket fermenter without a lid. The stores near my place don't have a lid for my bucket.

Can I mix everything up in the bucket and then split it into two carboys for the primary fermentation? I figure if I split one kit into two carboys then it will provide plenty of head space for all the foam. Any idea if that will work or cause problems?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Use a cloth or towel and tie it down with a piece of string. Lids really provide nothing better/more than a towel or cloth during primary. AND they will keep out bugs/fruit-flies - A loose fitted lid...maybe.

I never use a lid for the primary, a towel stretched across the top works great. You definitely don't want to go to a carboy too soon.

I never use a lid for the primary, a towel stretched across the top works great. You definitely don't want to go to a carboy too soon.

And hold it in place with a bungee. Make our hobby as easy as possible.

Back