Carboys 6.5

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canoe

Reaction score
Got 2 from glass recycling at the twp dump today.
Bottom of carboy reads 6.5 gallons. Must be USgals, measured around the shoulder because the carboy hold about 27liters to the neck, a little short for Imperial gallons.

I make mostly kits and consider these basically useless for bulk aging.

I'm thinking they would be fine for secondary fermenting though.
I normally leave the kit in the secondary for a week or so longer than the instruction say, and the wine would be up around the wide shoulder but I'm thinking I should still be OK with the CO2 protection from secondary ferment.

What do you all think. Opinions appreciated.

Cheers
Bill

They would be perfect for secondary fermentation and degassing after its done fermenting but you are right about not bulk aging in them. Good find though and awesome for doing fruit wines as you always want to make about that much extra for topping up later.

Primary or secondary will work.

Did the very top have what looks like screw threads?

Thanks, Wade, Tom,

Tom,
The carboys have the usual top, but about 3/4 inch down what looks like a very short thread (about 1/2 to 5/8) starts.

There's what appears to be a manufacturing date on the bottom, 1956.

Have you seen this type before?.

Cheers
Bill

Last edited:
alot of the 6.6 gal carboys had that thread. Guess one way to know its a 6.5 not a 6 gallon one.
Not thinking I transferred from a 6.5 to a 6 (which was full) and I had a mess

I have one of those carboys which I use for fruit wines. Currently it's full of grapefruit wine.. it's great for bulk aging because when the fruit is in season I make 18 to 24 gallons of it.. so just rack from various vessels til it's full and leave it to clear and age. I would be more than happy to get my hands on a couple more of that size.

using it for kits though.. it'd be a pain to top up.

Allie

Last edited:

using it for kits though.. it'd be a pain to top up.

Allie

Yeah, I have no intention of trying to add that much finished wine or marbles to a carboy. If I use it as a secondary though it will free up one of my 23l Mexican carboys (that I can't find anymore) for bulk aging. So I still, kinda, gain a bulk aging carboy.

I don't have that much access to large amounts of fruit, but that's also an option.

I asked the guy who handles the glass if he gets many carboys in. He said he gets a few, he likes watching the big ones crush:(. I gave him a bottle of merlot for these 2 and told him to save me any that come in. So with a bit of luck I might get a few more.;)

Bill

what a great deal Bill..

wish I had a glass recycling place local to me.

Allie

what a great deal Bill..

wish I had a glass recycling place local to me.

Allie

It's really just the township dump but all garbage is separated into the stuff that's recyclable, glass, cans, plastic, cardboard and the stuff that's landfill.

Then there's the stuff they don't want in the landfill that you have to pay to get rid of. A TV or crt computer screen will cost you $20. A CPU or amp vcr etc $10.

Bill

Our local dump sorts out stuff like good furniture and puts it aside to sell on the local ebay too, have picked up a few pieces and restored them. Old furniture is so much nicer than the new veneered crap. I've just never seen large carboys come up on their goods for sale.

You pay extra here to dump household paints, oils and car batteries.. Anything with asbestos in it costs a fortune to get rid of and has to have paperwork for the council too.

Allie

Latest posts

Back