Carboy!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
So I go to check my wine today. I am in the clearing stage and just degassed it last weekend. Today, I looked at my carboy and it was cracked!!!!! I went to get a new carboy right at that moment!!! As I very carefully transferred the wine into my new 6 gallon carboy, but it wouldn't all fit. Now there was seatmate at the bottom, should I throw out the rest? Or should I do something with it??

Thanks all

Courtney

:hh

IMO throw it out. It's not worth getting cut or swallowing glass shards. When you pick up the empty carboy be very careful as it may fall apart into pieces that may cut you.

By the way, never set carboys directly on concrete. Always set them on a rug or some other cushioning material.

Fred

I would get a filter like the cheap gravity filter myself as this will eliminate any chance of getting any galss in the next vessel. I use the cheap Vinbrite which costs about $49 with 6 filters.

Surlees is on track. I doubt there is any glass as if there was the carboy would have broke. If there were any small pieces of glass I think it would have fallen in the lees. Where and how did it crack?
I would toss the sediment out.

The carboy did not actually break, the crack was about 5 or 6 inches from the bottom of the carboy. When I looked at it it was starting to star pattern out(spread) We caught it befor it actually broke. Very little wine leaked out and I siphoned it into my new carboy with out any problems and threw the sedimate out.

I have no clue how it cracked. It may have happened during degassing. I degassed with a big plastic spoon. But honestly, I have no clue that was over a week ago. I'm just glad I caught it before it exploded all over the carpet.

Be sure to filter

I would think that filtering would make the most sence Why risk having to toss the whole batch if you do ever find a small piece of glass in your mouth. also we all know that Superman could crack a glass carboy if he wanted to. (lol)

Latest posts

Back