Carboy wedges

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djrockinsteve

Reaction score
I saw in some of the photos recently some of you use wedges placed under the carboys so as to let the lees fall more to one side of the carboy than the other allowing easier siphoning when racking.

Do you like the way they work and are the slip resistant to not only the carboy but to the counter? I'd hate to have a carboy slide off.

Do you use it shortly before racking or leave it in place the entire clearing time?

I haven't seen them locally but then again I haven't asked. They look like a good idea.

I use either 1x or 2x4's. My table top is rough slate tiles and it is not slippery. I use them during the entire clearing/aging process.

DSCN1726.jpg

I have been using the three ring notebook that contains my notes. I generally put the carboy on it the night before racking.

They work great if you keep them under during the hold time wine is in the carboy.
Start siphoning with the bottle still wedged up. Then, when the level of wine gets down close to the bottom, very gently tip carboy to the opposite side and siphon off that side.

2 x 2's also, never considered having them under during the whole process..."until now" Dan, I think it is against forum rules to post pictures of empty carboys.

Williams Brewing sells carboy wedges made of plastic if you wanted an 'off the shelf' solution.

i stick a roll of electrical tape under one side of mine...bout an inch thick.

I just use scrap pieces of 1x2 left over from building my wine racks.

aren't those empty carboy in the picture a violation of site rules???? i

No that is not true, Dan will tell you he has K-meta in those carboys so they are not empty BUT I think it is against site rules to have carboys with nothing fermenting in them! :p

No that is not true, Dan will tell you he has K-meta in those carboys so they are not empty BUT I think it is against site rules to have carboys with nothing fermenting in them! :p

That kmeta is in day 21 of aging. Please note the clarity of it without even going through filtration. WOW you guys really got some issues. Please use our search engine on patience, patience and patience. :fsh

That kmeta is in day 21 of aging. Please note the clarity of it without even going through filtration. WOW you guys really got some issues. Please use our search engine on patience, patience and patience. :fsh

I only have patience for stuff in carboys that I can drink :dg

You people just dont understand that dan is just doing prep work to those carboys so that when the 12 primary bockets are at the proper stage of fermentation he can just rack them right over to the properly sanitized carboys! :) OK, Dan you now owe me money for covering your a$$!

I have a bottle of 3 year old K-Meta aging. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

You know this will confuse someone.

I steal one of the $1.49 rubber door wedges I bought from Wal Mart that I use to keep my barrels from rolling away. I wait until the carboy is about 2/3 empty and then slide in under the side opposite the racking cane. The rubber doesn't slip.

picture.php

Latest posts

Back