Carboy Vacuum Pressure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterEd

Backwoods, but not backwards...
Reaction score
As I rapidly approach "three score" in age I have no choice but to adjust my lifestyle to accommodate my ailing back. I have rigged up a vacuum pump for fluid transfer to eliminate picking up those murderous full carboys, especially the 6 gallon jobs. After purchasing a Thomas vacuum pump off eBay that will draw up to 25" of vacuum I used a Tostitos cheese dip jar- old fuel petcock off a Royal Enfield bike- some miscellaneous brass pipe fittings to outfit the lid.
What is a good vacuum setting to set for carboy transfers? Currently I have the petcock cracked open enough to maintain around 13 psi. I have not done any tests to determine flow rates based on psi and wonder if there would even be much of a difference in the flow rate once the lines are "primed."

Last edited:
Hey, how about some pictures? Please.

Sorry, don't know about vacuum racking.

BTW, would that Royal Enfield petcock be anything like the reserve fuel petcock on the Triumph Bonneville I rode some 45+ years ago? [Man, wish I had never sold that bike. [Where have the years gone?] :(]

Last edited:
I would highly recommend a vacuum release valve and or regulator to help control your vacuum. I can tell you that the more you fill bottles or the carboy - the more you will increase your vacuum, due to the volume taken up by the intake of wine.

If interested I do sell attachments for those who already have their own vacuum pumps - bungs - bottling features - etc

Hey, how about some pictures? Please.

Sorry, don't know about vacuum racking.

BTW, would that Royal Enfield petcock be anything like the reserve fuel petcock on the Triumph Bonneville I rode some 45+ years ago? [Man, wish I had never sold that bike. [Where have the years gone?] :(]

Here is a couple shots of the Tostito Jar Manifold. As a side note I used an old motorcycle inner tube to make some rubber gaskets/seals for the jar's lid where the components enter/exit.

IMG_20161020_195026933.jpg

IMG_20161020_195046571.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't ventured into using the pump for bottling yet but I do intend to that next spring/summer when I bottle. A release of some sort is probably a good move as you suggested. I'll check out your product offerings in this area.

I would highly recommend a vacuum release valve and or regulator to help control your vacuum. I can tell you that the more you fill bottles or the carboy - the more you will increase your vacuum, due to the volume taken up by the intake of wine.

If interested I do sell attachments for those who already have their own vacuum pumps - bungs - bottling features - etc

I rebuilt Bonneville back in '79 and BSA 441 Victor...and two Harleys to help fill up the living room. Yes, I had no garage, so i kept them in the house...4 bikes, a brown recliner, and a TV set....you do stuff like that until you get married!

Sold my last bike 32 years ago...figured it was my last chance at a "normal" life style...it worked. Actually looked at a Glide last year...kept it a couple days...found out even though I am older and wiser, I still have to roll the power on hard and fast...always a very aggressive rider...took it back, didn't do the deal.

Still miss them some days.

Latest posts

Back