Carboy Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekjames100

Reaction score
Hi all:

How long is it ok to store wine in carboys before bottling?

I have some from 2015,2016 and 2017 still in carboys and was planning on bottling but I'm wondering if its too old. I bottled what i needed approx 1 year after completion but saved some. Any advice is appreciated.

Also, to protect it long term, how much k-meta do you advice that I add per bottle? I know there is a formula that I used in the past which I can't recall based on ph/logrithmic curves/ etc but I think that was overkill. Just a standard protective amount.

I'm assuming these carboys have been topped up. If so, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Ideal SO2 is a function of pH. But if you have no means of measuring either one and haven't added sulfite in a year or longer, I'd probably just go w/ 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons.

If it were mine, I'd pour myself a glass of each of them. Taste them individually make sure they have not gone bad. Take the good ones and see if they are improved by blending, rack, add 50 ppm SO2 (1.6 grams or 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallon carboy) let it sit for a day or two and bottle.

Thanks everyone. It was only due to laziness. I bottled half and it has been sitting waiting for me to bottle the other half.

Latest posts

Back