Carboy question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but it seems pertinent. I took a picture of two used carboys I bought. 6.5gal $45 each, not a great price, but cheaper than new. The storekeep said they are Italian, but I had my doubts and it seems I was right to doubt. A lot of the info on the bottom matches these details. There is even a very faint DOT imprint in the center that does not show in photos.

I had planned to ask if anyone knew about the threaded top and what the caps for these bottles look like. Maybe there is a nice airlock adapter available???
If they work well, I don't care if they came from Mars!

View attachment 93268View attachment 93269
They are probably from a water company that supplied bottled water for offices. The threads are for the cap.

I had planned to ask if anyone knew about the threaded top and what the caps for these bottles look like.
Many moons ago, I had a couple of carboys like that. The ones I had were used for shipping acid of some sort to laboratories. The top was designed for some type of removable cap, but I got mine without caps, so I have no idea what they looked like. IIRC, mine were 6.5 US gallons.

@wineview The 1M standard is part of DOT's hazardous materials regulation, the carboys are manufactured to strict specifications and supplied with an expanded polystyrene enclosure. The entire package has to meet the 4 foot "free fall" drop test without breaking or leaking. At the time the regulation was written, it was agreed that carboys may become damaged during use and may no longer meet the 1M specification , so the "non reusable" part basically means not to be reused for shipment of hazardous materials.

A 4 foot drop without breaking is impressive! Those two carboys are now full of free run wine from today's pressing. The "adaptable" airlock bungs fit the hole well with out popping out and they hold a lot of wine. I will buy more if I can find them.

Just came across this thread.
I have one of these carboys. holds about 25.5 liters. I got it from work in the mid 80's
It was used for either sulphuric or hydrocloric acid can't remember which. has had alot of use over the years. Am now using it with my vacumm pump for degassing as it allows more room for foaming when racking 22.5 liters of wine.

Latest posts

Back