Carboy question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this subject has been discussed but I can’t find the thread. Are Mexican carboys from the early 1990’s good quality? Some may be older. I found a guy selling 4 five gallon and 1 seven gallon for $20. Should I go for it?

Most of my carboys are fairly old and I haven't seen any problems with Mexican carboys throughout the years.

I know this subject has been discussed but I can’t find the thread. Are Mexican carboys from the early 1990’s good quality? Some may be older. I found a guy selling 4 five gallon and 1 seven gallon for $20. Should I go for it?
If you mean $20 for each, that is a "good" deal. On the other hand, if you mean $20 for all 5 carboys, you need to wear a mask when you pick them up!

If you mean $20 for each, that is a "good" deal. On the other hand, if you mean $20 for all 5 carboys, you need to wear a mask when you pick them up!
Don’t understand the mask reference. The carboys were used exclusively for beer and wine.

So I bought the five carboys for $20. The seller didn't even want the $20 when I arrived. I insisted and threw in a few bottles of my wine. I have some questions about the markings on the bottom. Three of them have an "I" in a circle. I assume that is Owens Illinois bottle Co. Next to the "I" is the number "70". Year produced perhaps? Then under the "I" there is a "9" on one, a "15" on the second and "11" on the third. Would those be mold numbers?. Then there is a carboy with Crisa Mexico on the bottom. This one looks like an Italian carboy. Heavy glass with ribs. And the seven gallon has 1988, VR, DOT-1M, NRC, M3008. I have no idea what these markings mean. Any ideas out there?

I've got a couple from the seventies? They were the glass bottles from a water cooler in the labs where I worked. I don't actually know when they were bought, but I started work there in 1979.
Embossed on the base is the name CRISTA done in the shape of a glass, and the words made in MEXICO, 3 gallons, 11 LITERS. I recycled them as they were going to be scrapped, and have been using them ever since then; very heavy though.

@wineview I believe your number interpretation is correct for the Owens Illinois carboys.

For the 7gal carboy the VR indicates the manufacturer Vidriera los Reyes of Mexico. The M3008 is the DOT manufacturer registration number
The DOT-1M number indicates the carboy construction specification 1M; non-reusable glass carboy in non reusable expanded polystyrene packaging, and meets various requirements including the carboy may not exceed 6.5 United States gallons nominal capacity, 7.0 ,United States gallons overflow, tolerance plus or minus 10 fluid ounces.

According to the regulation, some additional requirements for DOT-1M are listed below.

(1) Each carboy must be machine blown with threads in the neck of the glass carboy for closing by a screw cap.
(2) Each carboy must be annealed and have a real temper not greater than 5 based on ASTM C148-77, test Method A, using polariscopic examination.
(3) The weight of each carboy must be 14 pounds or greater with a tolerance of minus eight ounces.
(4) Meets the 4 foot drop test requirements when full and packaged etc.
(5) Meets the hydrostatic test requirements, 40 p.s.i.g. instantaneous or 13 p.s.i.g. for one minute.

Like real estate, location, location, location.

Seriously is Craigslist big in your area? I've discovered it is a very regional thing. In NOVA it is huge and in the rural parts of the state, not so much.
It’s fairly big, but so are the prices. No freebies or cheapies down here.

@wineview I believe your number interpretation is correct for the Owens Illinois carboys.

For the 7gal carboy the VR indicates the manufacturer Vidriera los Reyes of Mexico. The M3008 is the DOT manufacturer registration number
The DOT-1M number indicates the carboy construction specification 1M; non-reusable glass carboy in non reusable expanded polystyrene packaging, and meets various requirements including the carboy may not exceed 6.5 United States gallons nominal capacity, 7.0 ,United States gallons overflow, tolerance plus or minus 10 fluid ounces.

According to the regulation, some additional requirements for DOT-1M are listed below.

(1) Each carboy must be machine blown with threads in the neck of the glass carboy for closing by a screw cap.
(2) Each carboy must be annealed and have a real temper not greater than 5 based on ASTM C148-77, test Method A, using polariscopic examination.
(3) The weight of each carboy must be 14 pounds or greater with a tolerance of minus eight ounces.
(5) Meets the hydrostatic test requirements, 40 p.s.i.g. instantaneous or 13 p.s.i.g. for one minute.
this is interesting. One item caught my eye. "1M; non-reusable glass carboy". Does that mean it's not safe to reuse? The date is 1988 and I believe the previous owner brewed beer in it.

I'm sure you can use it as long as it is clean. The non-reusable statement is for DOT regulatory purposes regarding shipping and meeting the M1 standard; these were not intended to be used multiple times for shipping.

I'm sure you can use it as long as it is clean. The non-reusable statement is for DOT regulatory purposes regarding shipping and meeting the M1 standard; these were not intended to be used multiple times for shipping.
I am amazed you found all this information. I couldn’t find anything.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but it seems pertinent. I took a picture of two used carboys I bought. 6.5gal $45 each, not a great price, but cheaper than new. The storekeep said they are Italian, but I had my doubts and it seems I was right to doubt. A lot of the info on the bottom matches these details. There is even a very faint DOT imprint in the center that does not show in photos.

I had planned to ask if anyone knew about the threaded top and what the caps for these bottles look like. Maybe there is a nice airlock adapter available???
If they work well, I don't care if they came from Mars!

IMG_2179.JPEGIMG_2180.JPEG

Back