Carboy left open with no bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A Sauv Blanc Rosè. I transferred after about 7 days into primary going from 1.092 SG to about 1.002. 2 days later checked and down to .996. I cleaned up the bung and My scatterbrain took over and I forgot to put it back on. (Always seem to be in a rush). Carboy sat open for almost 2 days before being plugged up again.
Nothing in there yet except the yeast and nutrients added at primary. I don't have daily access so I won't b able to check it until tomorrow. I'm thinking since I'm still at the back end of fermentation that I should be ok. But still a slight worry. Will this negatively affect my finished product?

You are probably OK. Hopefully, the wine is degassing a bit and there is some CO2 on top of the wine. Obviously, get that bung on and get some sulfite in there as soon as you can. Take a smell and a small taste and let that be your judge.

Checking with a smell test is going to be another story though. Because when I racked after the primary the wine had an unfamiliar aroma I thought. I've done juice whites before but never a kit. And this is a white with red pack.
But it wasnt inviting. Still had that 2nd half fermentation type smell. More acidic than I'm used to tho. We'll see. I won't waste time discussing until i know the current status

I had a blueberry 6 months bulk aging with a cork bung, it had been in the cellar and I pulled it out to bottle before I left on vacation. Well - forgot about it in the rush to pack, and went on left for 6 days. Temp in the cellar was 54, outside the cellar 62-65. I came back to see the bung on the floor. Not sure how many days this was open, but it is 2 months later and no noticeable change; it tastes great!

Not sure. Wouldn't expect that while bulk aging though. One of the reasons I've avoided solid stoppers.
I'll be checking this batch in about a half hour. Going to rack and sulfite regardless of how she's doing. The profile is continually changing at this young stage anyway so I may not be able to tell if there were negative effects. Haven't been with her for a few days.

Edit: just checked levels, racked and sulfited. 'Carboy left open for two days during secondary' disaster averted. Unphased, She is bold and dry and moving along nicely.

Last edited:
Edit: just checked levels, racked and sulfited. 'Carboy left open for two days during secondary' disaster averted. Unphased, She is bold and dry and moving along nicely.

Good news. I always worry a spider or such will crawl in and die:sh

Good news. I always worry a spider or such will crawl in and die:sh

Funny, I probably shoulda been concerned with that, being in an older basement and all. I naively have the mindset that a still active (slightly) fermentation is like superman and will fight off any bacteria like that if it had to. I was more worried about the kryptonite, aka oxygen.

Last edited:
Not sure. Wouldn't expect that while bulk aging though. One of the reasons I've avoided solid stoppers.

Great point. No more solid stoppers for me. This was strike three. But it has never been disastrous.

Glad to hear that there were no ill effects to your wine. Spider would just add a little nuanced flavor.

That's great that it turned out Okay, just a note for future, if the wine is still degassing on it's own without stirring you should put the filter back on for a while, but if you want to put a bung in what I do is use a gardening twist tie around the top of the carboy then across the bung, works great. Do check it once in a while for pressure build up just to be safe.

I was very confused at first but I now realize you are and talking about the solid cork stopper that had popped out.
Not sure where 'filters' fall in or what that meant , but I agree a quick little tie-job would ensure no popping stoppers leaving open carboys.
I'm positive I will never do this though. With kids and their homework & softball and just plain neediness, along with work and sidework and of course the woman, this sounds like a recipe for exploding carboys for me.

Latest posts

Back