Carboy leaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
Just wondering if this happened to anyone else and if so did I possible cause it. I had a 3 gallon carboy crack around the bottom of the base when it was racked for the second time. I did not crack it in racking. Just went to check on it and it was half empty. Just a faulty Carboy????? Or is it possible that my airlock didn't work and the pressure cracked it?????

Would also be wise to filter as you rack - even fine glass fragments can do serious damage if consumed. If it cracked there is a chance for a few small fragments - no point in taking a risk.

Probably took a hit previously that created an unseen fault, Something about the pressure of the liquid's weight was enough to pop the crack open. If it was a brand new on then shipping damage would be a possible cause, otherwise a hard bump around your place set this up.

Pass this info on: I contacted the distributor they sent me a new carboy. The new carboy had a marking on the bottom that looked exactly like where the first carboy cracked. It was like a circular pencil line.You could put your finger nail in it.They gave me a credit and said keep the carboy. I threw it out. I probably should have asked them to pay for the lost wine. Anyway check the bottom of your new carboys for any markings.

Latest posts

Back