Carboy Handle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjowers

Junior
Reaction score
Who makes a good strong handle for the 6.5 smooth Italian carboy? Or, if there is a better way, the easiest way to move a full one around by yourself?

Do you mean "demijohn", e.g., the container is globular instead of cylindrical?

demijohn1A.png

I have two -- 25 and 54 liter capacity, respectively. Both came with a plastic basket.

demijohn2.jpg

Personally, I don't trust the plastic to hold the weight of the big one (~120 lbs). If the plastic fails, there will be wine and large shards of glass everywhere.

Moving them without the basket is highly risky -- last fall we nearly dropped the big one when lifting it from the floor to a counter. Since then, I don't move either when full, other than sliding on a counter.

YMMV

There are carboy handles that fit the neck of the carboy but I feel they put too much stress on the neck, especially when filled. Also there is a product made of polypropylene that is shaped like webbed basket that surrounds the carboy and has loop handles. Goes by the name Brew Hauler, search Amazon or your local brew shop (labelpeelers.com)

The handles are great for carrying the EMPTY carboy especially when washing and rinsing. The Brew Hauler is what I use for a full carboy. Most of all, I recommend using a pump to move liquid so you aren't moving a full carboy around or if you insist on moving a full vessel of wine, think about using stainless beer kegs that are not as fragile.

The handles are great for carrying the EMPTY carboy especially when washing and rinsing. The Brew Hauler is what I use for a full carboy. Most of all, I recommend using a pump to move liquid so you aren't moving a full carboy around or if you insist on moving a full vessel of wine, think about using stainless beer kegs that are not as fragile.
I built small dollies for the carboys that are full. This way I can roll them from place to place.

I feel the pain. The 6.5 smooth Italian Carboys are a both blessing and a curse. Love having the larger size (mine is closer to 7gal actual vol) but the width and different neck can be awkward. They make special larger handles that fit around the main lip. 6.5 Carboy handle. They look exactly the same as standard- just bigger. The 6.5 necks do seem thicker and stronger imo too.

when putting wine thru cold stabilization in my shed I put my Carboys in milk crates. The 6.5 got so stuck and I killed myself trying to remove it. I should get a larger crate like what @Jim Welch mentioned. Other than that I don’t think there’s any other special tricks for them that would be different than a standard 5-6gal 201AD7C0-06B6-4093-98AB-B58CE4E72EC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Huh. I was not familiar with "smooth Italian carboy". Most of mine are of Mexican manufacture, although I have 2 that are smooth instead of ridged, but I do not know their origin.

I had a couple of the handles that clamp onto the neck, but was concerned about the strain on the neck (plus they rusted), so I tossed them. When I have to lift a carboy, I'm a hugger -- one hand on the neck and the other arm wrapped around it with my hand under it.

Also, I have 2 crates (see below). My business partner got them from some place and I ended up with 2 of them. However, I'm thinking of getting milk crates.

It's been mentioned in other threads, but I no longer put anything glass on concrete. I use workout mats as a buffer, and am thinking that having the carboys in milk crates is another good buffer.

carboy crate.jpg

Huh. I was not familiar with "smooth Italian carboy". Most of mine are of Mexican manufacture, although I have 2 that are smooth instead of ridged, but I do not know their origin.

I had a couple of the handles that clamp onto the neck, but was concerned about the strain on the neck (plus they rusted), so I tossed them. When I have to lift a carboy, I'm a hugger -- one hand on the neck and the other arm wrapped around it with my hand under it.

Also, I have 2 crates (see below). My business partner got them from some place and I ended up with 2 of them. However, I'm thinking of getting milk crates.

It's been mentioned in other threads, but I no longer put anything glass on concrete. I use workout mats as a buffer, and am thinking that having the carboys in milk crates is another good buffer.

View attachment 77431
Yeah look at the pic I posted above. The 6.5 necks are different than typical. Never seen them sold new though. I got mine in a Craig’s list purchase.

I built small dollies for the carboys that are full. This way I can roll them from place to place.

I buy the standard furniture dollies from Lowes and put a piece of plywood in the void. It holds 2 carboys in milk crates. With the AIO I don't lift any full carboys any more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back