Carboy Handle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the pain. The 6.5 smooth Italian Carboys are a both blessing and a curse. Love having the larger size (mine is closer to 7gal actual vol) but the width and different neck can be awkward. They make special larger handles that fit around the main lip. 6.5 Carboy handle. They look exactly the same as standard- just bigger. The 6.5 necks do seem thicker and stronger imo too.

when putting wine thru cold stabilization in my shed I put my Carboys in milk crates. The 6.5 got so stuck and I killed myself trying to remove it. I should get a larger crate like what @Jim Welch mentioned. Other than that I don’t think there’s any other special tricks for them that would be different than a standard 5-6gal View attachment 77430

I have those as well and if they are the ones that fit snug in the milk crate they are 7 gallons. Mine have a 30 on the bottom them. Originally I thought they were 30 liter but they are not. It's almost like a milk crate was made for them.

I use the brew haulers mostly. They are adjustable so will fit any size carboy. The only drawback is that they are a bit pricy. $12-$15 each. I have 7 or 8 of them but have only ever bought 2. The rest are throw-ins from CL carboy purchases. I'm at the point now that I have more filled carboys than carriers so I have to do something else soon. You can buy milk crates from Uline for pretty cheap but you have to buy 10 I think. I can still pick up a full carboy using the hug method but am planning for the day that I will not want to but still want to make wine.

I also have one of those plastic utility carts for moving stuff around. I got the smallest I could find and can put 2 carboys or 50 upright bottles on the top tray. That and a folding handle flat cart are very handy. Much of my wine work is done at the kitchen sink so moving stuff in and out of the storage, aging and fermenting rooms is just where I am right now.

I made my carboy carrier out of 550 Paracord. The big handles make it easy to lift and carry. That a seven gallon Fermonster which I used as a guide.
View attachment 77508View attachment 77509View attachment 77510
Wow.................that handler is awesome.!!...............................you are quite adept at placing all those knots in just the right places!! Very creative: particularly the way you wove the red and black cords together...................................DizzyIzzy

So.... I just moved 3 carboys using "neck handles". Worked great, but only moved them maybe 100 yards on the move out, and 50 yards on the move in. I was worried, but all went well

Wow! I bet you could sell those paracord carriers if you had a local home brew shop to carry them for you. Very nice.

Unfortunately, they'd never sell for what I had in them with my time and materials. I have quite a bit of paracord on hand from projects I've done over the years. The stainless steel ring is the only thing I had to purchase to make it.

Wow.................that handler is awesome.!!...............................you are quite adept at placing all those knots in just the right places!! Very creative: particularly the way you wove the red and black cords together...................................DizzyIzzy

Thank you, I used a ruler to measure the placement of each knot. The knot itself is a decorative Chinese knot I found and thought it would look nice.

Its 1/2” Baltic birch ply. Glued and nailed with support blocks under the bottoms.
Very nice crates. As an alternative for the drying, may i suggest drilling holes half way up the sides of the Baltic. Insert 2 removable dowls across the box to support the inverted Carboy. Drill just high enough so the spout is not touching the bottom. Just an idea..

Unfortunately, they'd never sell for what I had in them with my time and materials. I have quite a bit of paracord on hand from projects I've done over the years. The stainless steel ring is the only thing I had to purchase to make it.

Thank you, I used a ruler to measure the placement of each knot. The knot itself is a decorative Chinese knot I found and thought it would look nice.
Boy, does it ever!!

Latest posts

Back