Carboy Clean vs. Sanitize - multi-transfers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunton

Junior
Reaction score
I have a bunch of racking to do this weekend. One batch to bottle, which will free a carboy and then I'll shuffle around 2 others that are bulk aging.

I'm not looking to be lazy, but wonder what others think if I am doing something like this:
  1. Move carboy A contents to carboy B then to bottles
  2. Move carboy C to carboy A
  3. Move carboy D to carboy C
When you empty a carboy before refilling (within an hour or so), do you just rinse and sanitize or do you clean each time with one-step/PBW (assuming the carboy looks clean and doesn't have any buildup)?

Thanks for the input!

They are hard to find but get some really long handled brushes. You need to do a good cleaning before re-using. Especially when you are talking about different wine varieties at different stages.

cmason is right, unless you let it dry, you'll never see a lot of the left behind stuff lurks in that carboy. I don't use a drill attachment but I have brushes and I also use industrial strength paper towels that I can use with old aluminum arrow shafts to get at any spots. RINSE WELL and I finish with a good shaking up with star-san in the carboy. Unless I see a lot of startsan foam, it's not done.

For what it's worth, this was recommended by this guy you might have heard of named Daniel Pambianchi. So I bought one, it does a wonderful job getting rid of the gunk you can't see. Don't use it on plastic, is the only caveat. I have used the other drill carboy cleaner, I like this one better, easier to get into and out of the bung hole.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6YR235/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my answer: if the carboy was used simply for a transfer, such as carboy B in your example above, I rinse and sanitize. Any other situation, I clean it, even if I don't see anything in it.

Carboys can get something known as a "biofilm" which is an invisible film of junk (bacteria, proteins, fungus) which needs to be removed. If you have ever had a pool or a hot tub, you have probably encountered biofilm - when you run your hand over the underwater surface and it slick or slippery, that is the biofilm.

I have brushes and use them sometimes, but I worry about the metal tips scratching up the inside and creating nice nooks and crannies for bacteria. My method relies on strips of old bath towels. I have 3' strips 2" wide which I drop into the carboy with some cleanser. Then I rotate the carboy so the fabric covers across all of the surfaces repeatedly, then fish it out, rinse, and sanitize. YMMV.

I have a bunch of racking to do this weekend. One batch to bottle, which will free a carboy and then I'll shuffle around 2 others that are bulk aging.

I'm not looking to be lazy, but wonder what others think if I am doing something like this:
  1. Move carboy A contents to carboy B then to bottles
  2. Move carboy C to carboy A
  3. Move carboy D to carboy C
When you empty a carboy before refilling (within an hour or so), do you just rinse and sanitize or do you clean each time with one-step/PBW (assuming the carboy looks clean and doesn't have any buildup)?

Thanks for the input!

Unless there are hints of VA in the wine I do as you mentioned. Just rinse well a few times to get rid of the lees and put the new wine right in. Recently when racking for the second or third time and there is not a lot of sediment I just do a rack and return since carboy volumes vary. FWIW I connected a hose bib to my water heater and when I rinse it's with high pressure hot water.

Back