Carboy carrier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmionno

Junior
Reaction score
New member looking for help. I am looking for a carboy carrier made specifically for carboys. I have several of the plastic blue carriers as shown on the photo attached, but they are old and I can't find any on line. They are exactly made for 5 or 6 gallon carboys with a built in handle and are much better fitting than milk crates. They are stamped as made by ASK Plastics in Philadelphia, which has no website.thumbnail_IMG_1337.jpg

New member looking for help. I am looking for a carboy carrier made specifically for carboys. I have several of the plastic blue carriers as shown on the photo attached, but they are old and I can't find any on line. They are exactly made for 5 or 6 gallon carboys with a built in handle and are much better fitting than milk crates. They are stamped as made by ASK Plastics in Philadelphia, which has no website.View attachment 66531
I doubt you will find them other than posting on Craigslist or Facebook in a search. Most commercial water supply is in some hard plastic with a handle, or disposable plastic. I haven't seen one that wasn't vintage, with vintage carboy. I've ended up using 6+ or 8 gallon buckets for mine. Safer for moving, and liquid contained in case of breakage. Bucket does need to have a spigot for air release, fit is tight on a 5 gallon in a 6 gallon bucket.

New member looking for help. I am looking for a carboy carrier made specifically for carboys. I have several of the plastic blue carriers as shown on the photo attached, but they are old and I can't find any on line. They are exactly made for 5 or 6 gallon carboys with a built in handle and are much better fitting than milk crates. They are stamped as made by ASK Plastics in Philadelphia, which has no website.View attachment 66531
I have been using the All in one carboy cover from carboys.net with great satisfaction:
https://carboy.net/

New member looking for help. I am looking for a carboy carrier made specifically for carboys. I have several of the plastic blue carriers as shown on the photo attached, but they are old and I can't find any on line. They are exactly made for 5 or 6 gallon carboys with a built in handle and are much better fitting than milk crates. They are stamped as made by ASK Plastics in Philadelphia, which has no website.

You could easily make some corner inserts out of scrap plywood, etc, and screw them into old milk crates. Menards sells new crates that are a bit flimsier than the milk crates, but adding plywood to the bottom helps.

"
PHILADELPHIA (Nov. 30, 2:35 p.m. ET) — ASK Plastics Inc., a Philadelphia custom injection molder founded in 1945, is closing down, and Branford Group is set to auction off its equipment Dec. 12 — including several large-tonnage injection presses.

Andrew Vartanian, the president since 1990, said the recession hurt ASK.

Not sure about other recyling centers but our often has sheets of styrofoam that could be cut to fit the corners of milk crates and place on the bottom for some impact protection. If damaged or stained toss and replace. As to heavier REAL milk crates perhaps local dairies would sell some they are ready to retire. Or maybe they can provide the name of their supplier? I understand the custom fit one are super but if not available. .... Improvise. See Milk-Crate.com. Jus to looked them up. Dairy supplier about $15.00 per or less.

If you want to start with a regular milk crate, I recently got some at Home Depot. Same heavy quality as the various others I have acquired, and my dairy uses. About $12? They were more in the closer-to-DC HD I was just in.

Like franc1969, I use juice buckets and fermenters. The juice buckets hold 3 and 5 gallon carboys nicely and the fermenters hold the 6 gallon carboys. I also buy inexpensive furniture dollies from Harbor Freight (about $8), add some scrap wood to cover the opening between the casters and move two carboys at a time with that.

The images are of a juice bucket with a 5 gallon carboy, a fermenter with a 5 gallon carboy and a fermenter with a 6 gallon carboy. I also use the juice buckets as carboy racks for drying.

100_1598.JPG100_1599.JPG100_1600.JPG

These are available from my local Home Depot. They are only 11" high but they would offer protection of the body of a carboy and there are grips to lift them. Price is very reasonable at $8.98 each. (For people who are not shopping savvy, they offer a 4-pack of them for $41.43, or $10.36 each!)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GSC-Tec...13-in-Black-Milk-Crate-MC131311-002/204793156
Here is a picture of the furniture dolly. I put a piece of scrap 3/4" plywood or particle board over the opening and I can get two carboys or one demijohn on easily. Weight capacity is 1000 lbs. and a full 13 gallon demijohn weighs about 135 pounds.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-12-in-1000-lb-capacity-hardwood-dolly-63098.html
Here is another item from Harbor Freight that looks interesting. I have never tried it but it appears that it would work for a single carboy for moving around your area. Note: only 180 pound capacity.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-wheel-wood-dolly-68902.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back