• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Carboy caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hate to disagree with Tom and the others, but; If you have a vacuum pump, that is the right cap. Use it to vacuum rack and to vacuum degas. Sorry again Tom but this is the first that I heard of vacuuming out flavor. My degassing tool is covered with dust. If you do not have a vacuum pump, get the tool. :b

Exactly right Lurker!

Now I'm confused. I may have to attend Tom's meeting just to get my head screwed on right. Tom's meetings are good. If I have learned anything from the forums it is that there are many ways to make wine and they all seem to work.
:b

Now I'm confused. I may have to attend Tom's meeting just to get my head screwed on right. Tom's meetings are good. If I have learned anything from the forums it is that there are many ways to make wine and they all seem to work.
:b
Rich,
Meeting is @ joeswine house. He is the one that can show and explain what not to do.
Meeting is 3rd sunday in January.

Rich,
Meeting is @ joeswine house. He is the one that can show and explain what not to do.

It would be great if someone could turn the demo @joeswine into a "how to" or "How NOT to" for the tutorial section. I don't think my wife will let us move to New Jersey so I can attend. If Joe were in a southern state that she'd be all over that.:fsh

Im friends with Joewine and can tell you the vacuum pump he used is not one of the units 99% of us use. He's a professional AC?heating guy and the vacuum pump he's using is much more powerful and capable of much higher vacuum. Me and Grapeman pretty much turned Joe onto using a vacuum pump and he even told me he went up to around 32" on that batch of wine that he sucked the flavor out of. We do not go above around 22" and thats a huge difference. You can use the carboy cap for all everything with the vacuum pump but I do also agree that a stirrer helps also in the very beginning of degassing and for mixing everything up in the bucket or carboy like fining agents or dissolved kmeta solution or something. I dont use that cap for degassing either, just a bung and pce of racking cane.

Rich,
Is that the Joeswine in Springfield?

I should add that since I started vacuum racking, I no longer have to degas. :b

Last edited:
Is that the Joeswine in Springfield?

I should add that since I started vacuum racking, I no longer have to degas. :b
NO, thats his name here. You met him at a meeting Joe P

Latest posts

Back