• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Carboy caps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For degassing you need the degassing tool and not this cap.

Isn't there a way to suck the gas out with a vacuum/pump ?

What do I need for that?

How does that work compared to the tool?

its cheaper than a vacumn pump. If you dont use the pump right you can suck the flavor out.
this tool is cheaper.

its cheaper than a vacumn pump. If you dont use the pump right you can suck the flavor out.
this tool is cheaper.

Cheaper, but I should probably get a new drill, as mine has a lot of gunk on it from thinset and grout I've been mixing.

U should be OK as long as you sanitize the tool and nothing "drops" in...

I agree with Tom you should own this tool first as it is multi functional as a degasser and mixer. Even with a Vacuum pump it is best to use this one your wine first.

I really hate to disagree with Tom and the others, but; If you have a vacuum pump, that is the right cap. Use it to vacuum rack and to vacuum degas. Sorry again Tom but this is the first that I heard of vacuuming out flavor. My degassing tool is covered with dust. If you do not have a vacuum pump, get the tool. :b

I really hate to disagree with Tom and the others, but; If you have a vacuum pump, that is the right cap. Use it to vacuum rack and to vacuum degas. Sorry again Tom but this is the first that I heard of vacuuming out flavor. My degassing tool is covered with dust. If you do not have a vacuum pump, get the tool. :b

Thanks! Thats what I thought.

Perhaps Wade the pump guy will jump in.

There is a filtering setup that uses that carboy cap. An aquarium type pump is used to push air into one nozzle and the wine is pushed out the other, and through the filter pads.

Steve

There is a filtering setup that uses that carboy cap. An aquarium type pump is used to push air into one nozzle and the wine is pushed out the other, and through the filter pads.

Steve

That's what I thought as well, its hard to see from the photos though.

Does it also work like that for the whole house filter?

Come to next meeting and you will see how you can suck out the flavor.

This cap can also be used for vacuum filtering - the cap goes on the receiving carboy, with the filter set up between the receiving and sending carboys. Depending on the hose size from the vacuum pump, you may need an adaptor to fit the orange cap though.
The double hole bung that Wade recently showed is probably easier to use with a vacuum pump since it is sized for regular tubing.

Read the first couple of posts again! This is the correct cap for filtering and racking. For degassing only it is not the correct cap. :slp It is used on the receiving tank.

Abe - to try to make this less confusing:
If you are using a vacuum pump:
1. To simply degas a carboy, use a regular one hole bung with a short piece of racking cane and simply connect it to your pump hose.
2. If you are vacuum racking, you need a two hole bung or cap on the receiving carboy; one goes to the sending carboy, one goes to the pump unit.
3. If you are vacuum filtering, the setup is the same as #2, except you insert the filter unit between the two carboys.
The orange/red carboy cap you refer to has two different size holes in it; one fits your regular tubing, the other is smaller. If you have tubing or adaptors to fit both, then you can use this cap. If you only have regular size tubing then you should use the two hole bung.

Come to next meeting and you will see how you can suck out the flavor.

Tom,

I'd love to attend the next meeting but living in michigan will make that difficult. What is the wrong way of vacuum degassing that will suck out the flavor? Why do I ask? We'll I may have done that. Have a 6 gallon carboy of W.E. World Vintner German Mueller-Thurgau that was not clearing so I figured it needed some degassing to help it clear. Read some posts where the poster introduced a pinch in the transfering hose which allows the vacuum to pull some of the gas out as it is transfering. After transfering my wife thought the wine was a little "flat". We compared it to a piesporter (same grape family) and had to agree that our degassed wine tasted a little flat. Is the flatness because I over degassed or because the wine is only about 6 weeks old?

Read the first couple of posts again! This is the correct cap for filtering and racking. For degassing only it is not the correct cap. :slp It is used on the receiving tank.

However, if you keep the cap on one extension and place your vacuum line over the other, it could be used the same as a single hole bung with the hole on a tube inserted in the bung as Dugger described.

Latest posts

Back