Carboy Caps & Secondary Fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LawMonkey

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all. I asked a similar question over in the beer forums, but given the different concerns w/ brewing and vintning (vintening?), I feel it's wise to ask over here also.

I've just put my blueberry melomel into the secondary. Is it safe/wise/proper to use a carboy cap on a secondary fermenter? They certainly don't -feel- as airtight as a properly fitted rubber stopper, but stoppers have their own issues--mainly getting the inside of the carboy mouth and the outside of the stopper dry enough so that the stopper doesn't slide right out as soon as you put it in.

In short: I prefer carboy caps and would like to use them on my (3 gal. and larger) secondaries, but I'm concerned that they aren't sufficient as an oxygen barrier. Should I switch to a stopper with all deliberate speed, or am I ok with the cap?

LawMonkey:

Answer to your question....I don't know. Presume you meant the orange coloured caps with the two outlets. Personally, I wouldn't trust them.

But then I don't have any problems with rubber bungs in my glass (or plastic) carboys. So here's a question for you...what size bung are you having problems with? Perhaps it's too large. If you're not using a 6 1/2 bung, maybe you should be. BTW, many 6 1/2 bungs do not have the number molded in to them.

Steve

Latest posts

Back