Carboy Bung Removal Tool

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a tool that removes the solid rubber carboy bungs with the drilled holes? They seem impossible to remove, needle nose pliers tend to chew up the bung a bit. I’m using #9 bungs.

If it’s got a hole in it get a long toggle bolt that will go through the hole, the wings will flip out and give you some pulling power. But don’t let it go down inthe neck too far or you’ll be fighting to get it out too

If it’s got a hole in it get a long toggle bolt that will go through the hole, the wings will flip out and give you some pulling power. But don’t let it go down inthe neck too far or you’ll be fighting to get it out too
That's a good idea actually I'll give that a shot. I find spraying with some.starsan helps aswell to break the rubber to glass seal...the toggle bolt will help. I've lost some in carboys before, I just use a plastic bag then I rack and they come right out.

It appears an adult could never remove it either.
Haha true, or perhaps I’m just challenged. I ordered some larger bungs, these are designed for 1gallon jugs apparently. They work great for the 1” holes I drilled in the primary fermenters, of which I have four.

Haha true, or perhaps I’m just challenged. I ordered some larger bungs, these are designed for 1gallon jugs apparently. They work great for the 1” holes I drilled in the primary fermenters, of which I have four.

Go with a #7 for 5-7 gallon carboys. I'll use 6.5 for 1gallon and half gallon, but they're a little to small (for my liking) on the larger carboys.

Bah they screwed me, they shipped #6.5, I could have sworn I ordered 7.5. they work anyways and have just enough to remove a little easier. I'll probably just order more next time I need SO2 indicator in 6 months.

YouTube has videos on removing a bung from a carboy. Use a plastic grocery bag, it worked on the first try for me.

Bah they screwed me, they shipped #6.5, I could have sworn I ordered 7.5. they work anyways and have just enough to remove a little easier. I'll probably just order more next time I need SO2 indicator in 6 months.

If it's for a 5-7 gallon carboy, you're lucky to get the 6.5. I tried a 7.5 and it was a no go. 6.5 is a tad on the small side for me, but works, and 7 seems just right.

YouTube has videos on removing a bung from a carboy. Use a plastic grocery bag, it worked on the first try for me.
Yes I’ve done that...as well as removing a wine cork with my shoe lol, the issue is getting it out of the neck not that its fallen inside the carboy.
If it's for a 5-7 gallon carboy, you're lucky to get the 6.5. I tried a 7.5 and it was a no go. 6.5 is a tad on the small side for me, but works, and 7 seems just right.

Ill keep that in mind next time i order one, the 6.5 size actually fits perfectly in the neck, its more secure and is very unlikely to have a small child pull it out just a pain in the rear. Might be beneficial when the wife and i have our first child though.

Ill keep that in mind next time i order one, the 6.5 size actually fits perfectly in the neck, its more secure and is very unlikely to have a small child pull it out just a pain in the rear. Might be beneficial when the wife and i have our first child though.

6.5 for me is on the small side because if I press the bung in 1st, I can make it level with the top of the neck. If I put the airlock in the bung 1st, it's not an issue. But being I know the way I am, I'd rather not risk it.. As in putting the bung in then trying to press the airlock in.

BTW, depending on the carboy, for some odd reason, I have to try different sizes, not because they don't fit, but because they keep wanting to push themselves out. Sometimes I have to use a 6.5, 7, or even those universal ones.

6.5 for me is on the small side because if I press the bung in 1st, I can make it level with the top of the neck. If I put the airlock in the bung 1st, it's not an issue. But being I know the way I am, I'd rather not risk it.. As in putting the bung in then trying to press the airlock in.

BTW, depending on the carboy, for some odd reason, I have to try different sizes, not because they don't fit, but because they keep wanting to push themselves out. Sometimes I have to use a 6.5, 7, or even those universal ones.
I have the same issue, when I stop by value village I see a couple Carboys for $10 each I snag them so they are mixed. I did that a few times and now I have 13 with 12 filled, lol. Also The wine kit store in an attempt to up sell me, gave me a used carboy for free because I told them I can’t buy it since I was out of carboy space. Needless to say I couldn’t say no after that, haha

Latest posts

Back