Carboy brush for plastic carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of these items and extra heads, and they arrived this week. I used one to clean a carboy I had purchased used and was about to trash because I could not clean the stains with the traditional carboy brush. I tried this one and it worked like a charm. The major benefit, I believe, is that I can get some force behind this brush where the traditional brush just bends. Something you might consider for cleaning plastic carboys. The head is too large for glass carboys.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Gall...45018&s=hpc&sr=1-31-spons&ts_id=15342831&th=1

I have one that resembles the following. Mine cost half as much, but has a plastic shaft and the pads are not replaceable. When mine fails (which probably won't be soon, it's holding up well), I'll consider this one:

https://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-2Y-CNRX-T9FP-Carboy-Cleaner/dp/B0064OIB3Y/ref=sr_1_4
I had red wine stains in the necks of demijohns I purchased used. Scrubbing with a standard carboy brush barely made a difference, nor did soaking in Oxyclean. I finally got the stains out by determined usage of One Step and the drill-mounted brush. I suspect the stains had been there for a decade or more before I purchased them.

I have one that resembles the following. Mine cost half as much, but has a plastic shaft and the pads are not replaceable. When mine fails (which probably won't be soon, it's holding up well), I'll consider this one:

https://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-2Y-CNRX-T9FP-Carboy-Cleaner/dp/B0064OIB3Y/ref=sr_1_4
I had red wine stains in the necks of demijohns I purchased used. Scrubbing with a standard carboy brush barely made a difference, nor did soaking in Oxyclean. I finally got the stains out by determined usage of One Step and the drill-mounted brush. I suspect the stains had been there for a decade or more before I purchased them.
This is my go-to carboy cleaner when needed. I've been very fortunate in that I clean my carboys immediately after use with a water cleaner attachment for a faucet that produces a strong stream of water. Works great on wine bottles up to 5 gal carboys. Ok for 6 gal but takes a bit of practice to twist and turn to get the stream of water all over the inside.

Last edited:
This is my go-to carboy cleaner when needed. I've been very fortunate in that I clean my carboys immediately after use with a water cleaner attachment for a faucet that produces a strong stream of water. Works great on wine bottles up to 5 gal carboys. Ok for 6 gal but takes a bit of practice to twist and turn to get the steam of water all over the inside.
I like to add a scoop of Oxyclean to a carboy and fill with hot tap water. Soak for an hour, then rack to another carboy. Most of the time, that removes any visible staining.

I ordered a couple of these items and extra heads, and they arrived this week. I used one to clean a carboy I had purchased used and was about to trash because I could not clean the stains with the traditional carboy brush. I tried this one and it worked like a charm. The major benefit, I believe, is that I can get some force behind this brush where the traditional brush just bends. Something you might consider for cleaning plastic carboys. The head is too large for glass carboys.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Gall...45018&s=hpc&sr=1-31-spons&ts_id=15342831&th=1
Thanks Rocky, great suggestion!

I had the same thing in some of the used equipment that I purchased. I didn't notice a small stain in a bottle and filled it. I just opened that bottle (which was when I noticed it) and the wine stain was likely as solid as the day I bottled it.

BPW takes it off like nothing. I rinsed the bottle and added a little PBW, left it on it's side to soak the stain, and rinsed it out a couple hours later when I walked by. It literally peels right off and you can just rinse it out.

Not sure if this pertains to the plastic stains, but for dried on wine deposits in glass carboys and bottles, BPW is the most effective thing I have seen. Other than not being a lazy slacker and rinsing! :D

Back