Carboy Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have three fresh juice wines, Chianti, Cab Franc, and Pinot Noir. They went into the carboy on 11/29/08 and on 1/6/09 I added 1/4 tsp k-meta and 1/2 tsp sorbate. I racked them 8/4/09 and added 1/4tsp k-meta. How long can I safely keep them in the carboy before I need to bottle them? Will the extended aging hurt it?

Scuba

The extended aging is great for it. However, 1/4 tsp. k-meta should be added every 3 months.

The sorbate will be alright. I would be reluctant to just dutifully add k-meta every 3 months. You will lose some over time without corks, but a year of storage would mean adding a full teaspoon over that period and I doubt it would lose that much. It would be best to get some Accuvin test ampules for the S02 test and check it to keep it in the proper range. There are other tests available also but the Accuvin is easy to perform. One or two additions would be fine, but I wouldn't go more than that without checking the free S02.

Glad to see you Scube, it's been a while.

Good to see you to appleman. The forums were giving me quite a few problems way back when. It would say I was logged in but wouldnt let be post or get to my PM's or anything.

How long can I keep these in carboys?

I suppose this begs the question asking why you would want to store the wine in the carboys for extending periods of time. In my case, I store for clarity and waiting for blend components to be ready, but if a wine is ready then into the bottle it goes.

Given proper SO2 measurements, stopper management and storage conditions, there should be no problem storing them in glass for quite some time.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back