Carboy Aging for Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorldTravelingJoe

Reaction score
I will be keeping my wine in a carboy for some time. I am trying something new to me: Using Frozen Grape Must. It is my understanding that a 5lb pail will yield 3.5 gallons of wine (+ or -). When I move it to the 6 gallon carboy I will have a large surface open. Obviously I will close the top, but should I use Co2 or Argon or something to force the oxygen out of the carboy for aging purposes?

THANKS!

Joe

Welcome to the forum. I would get some smaller containers (carboys, gal. jugs 1/2 gal. jugs and empty wine bottles for the smaller leftovers) and use them. You can fill them to the top and not have to worry about the headspace. Arne.

I will be keeping my wine in a carboy for some time. I am trying something new to me: Using Frozen Grape Must. It is my understanding that a 5lb pail will yield 3.5 gallons of wine (+ or -). When I move it to the 6 gallon carboy I will have a large surface open. Obviously I will close the top, but should I use Co2 or Argon or something to force the oxygen out of the carboy for aging purposes?

THANKS!

Joe

Hi Joe, and welcome! I too use frozen must, and your numbers are correct. As Arne has suggested, I'll reinforce, keep a little variety that allows flexibility. I us mostly 6 gallon carboys, but for those odd batches, keep a few 5's, 3's, 1's, and 1/2's. Having the ability to rack in the proper size container is easy with variety.

I am assuming this white stopper is a silicon vented bung, SO, does the pressure push the top open for it to vent?

I am assuming this white stopper is a silicon vented bung, SO, does the pressure push the top open for it to vent?

Yes, then entire bung is silicone. The pressure inside lifts the lip allowing the gas to escape, then closes once pressure is released back preventing oxygen from entering the carboy.

I switched to using these exclusively post secondary fermentation. (I use an S airlock for secondary fermentation and just lay the lid on top for primary fermentation)

They are worry free airlock, if you keep them clean. CO2 out, no O2 in. I use them from secondary on.

I have some that I got from Vadai with my barrels, and like them very much, but they only fit my barrel bungs and are difficult to get into the carboy opening. Where do you get your silicone bungs for carboys and glass jugs?

I believe I am using size 7 bung for the 5 gallon carboys. I would measure your Carboy opening and then Google 5 gallon Carboy vented silicon bung and check the measurements to make sure it fits your application. I found these measurements for bungs on the 'ol interweb:

#6: 1-1/16” ~ 1-1/8”
#6.5: 1-1/8” ~ 1-3/8”
#7: 1-3/16” ~ 1-7/16”

Latest posts

Back