Carbonic Maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the lab doing anaerobic work, we had a sealed chamber with gaskets etc.
HUMM? ? ,,, P x V = N x R x T ,,, that was 50 years ago o_O
It should be sold by the pound therefore a pound will fill 8.7 cubic feet or 65 gallons at room temp/ pressure. Assume that you are washing out the air so you should be at a useful percentage, but not 100%. Also assume you will have some evaporate between dealer and hone (and you need an ice chest/ gloves to move it)
If you keep the cover tight assume it is OK, if you open it you start over again.
Thanks. Are you able to say about how much dry ice for a given volume of uncrushed grapes? Maybe a 10 or 20 gallon Brute’s worth? Does the dry ice have to be replaced after some period of time?

You say that the wine tastes sweeter, but is there actually residual sugar in the wine? And how to handle that when bottling time comes
No, I think what they mean is the wines are more fruit forward and less tannic, which comes across as sweetness. I prefer the term "juicy". You can let them ferment to dry and they'll still have much more candy-like fruit flavors than a skin extracted wine.

CM update I crushed the grapes after 14 days put in the nutrients as if it was a commercial yeast used. I'm doing wild fermentation.
After another 2 weeks, we pressed it, fermentation finish. Tastes very interesting, very complex nose and has an orange look to it. Will need some back sweetening. Original Brix 25 pH 3.1 now 3.40

CM update I crushed the grapes after 14 days put in the nutrients as if it was a commercial yeast used. I'm doing wild fermentation.
After another 2 weeks, we pressed it, fermentation finish. Tastes very interesting, very complex nose and has an orange look to it. Will need some back sweetening. Original Brix 25 pH 3.1 now 3.40
Thanks for the update. CM with white grapes is unusual, though I’ve seen a couple folks on this forum mention they do it. I’m really intrigued to hear how things turn out with the Itasca.

Latest posts

Back